Chapter 14

Facelift
Sat, July 01, 1972, 3:00 a.m

Averie Callie pumped the shotgun just one time, cause that's all it was going to take to let the motherfucker know they picked the wrong one. At three o'clock in the morning, just who was crazy enough to be banging on her damn back door? Holding the shotgun with one hand, she used her free one to swing the door open so wide and fast that it loosened the doorknob when it hit the wall. In the pitch black dark of the early morning, Alex started to whimper, "It's gone. It's completely gone." Still holding the pump action shotgun waist level, she asked her twin brother, "Where the fuck is your face?" Alex again whimpered, "it's gone I told you. Its completely gone Averie." He broke down into a full out sob and fell forward into his sisters arm. It was her one free arm that wasn't holding the shotgun.

"Git in here right now, Alex."

"C'mon momma" he sniffled glancing back over his shoulder.

Alex was already on the top step so he walked right through the back door into his twin sisters den at the back of her house. Their mother Sharondea walked up the steps and inside as well.

"What're we going to do about Alex's face?"

"What happened to it momma?"

"He was popping them firecrackers in his hand. I told him about holding them things and he should sit 'em on the ground, but he don't listen and one exploded in his face."

"Okay, we'll take him to the hospital in a minute. Let me get my shoes. I'll be right back."

Averie knew better than to believe the story her mother had just told her, and she knew her twin brother even better. Alex could always find his way into mischief, but most times he needed her or Juntas to get him out of it. She didn't know why her or Juntas entertained his antics, but they always did.  This time was no different. Still holding the pump action shotgun in her hand, she left the room and came back ten minutes later with her shoes on. She had changed out of her night gown and into some pants and a blouse. She had the keys to her car in her hand. The three of them slipped out the back door and into her little compact car, and off to the hospital they went to get Alex a new face.