Chapter 34

Flashback 1  - 1978

A huge bolt of lightening lit up the sky and was on full display through the window at the foot of his bed. It was followed by the loudest roar of thunder that rolled and rolled and rolled before bursting into an unforgettable explosion. As the handle turned slowly, doom lurked in the doorway with agony peering in at the darkened window. Everything was so still he didn't even know if he was breathing, yet he knew that he was. The door creaked shut.

At only five years old, he was just a little boy. Viewmaster, Matchbox cars, and Captain Kangaroo. Those were his favorite things. And, yellow. Yellow was his favorite color. It reminded him of the sunshine he always saw with Muh. She was his grandmother and when she hung the sheets on the clothes line, the bright sunshine was always so warm and soothing it made the day so much better, much like the soft hum of her voice. She always sang when she hung the sheets on the line and it was always a gospel hymn that seemed to quieten the inner demons that possessed his spirit.

Not like the rain, or when the skies were dark and gloomy and flashed down big streaks of lightening followed by loud boisterous thunder. The storms in the Midwest were notorious in this way, and where he lived was considered Tornado Alley.

Should he pull the covers up? Around his ears? Would it really help? Would it? How about pray? Should he pray? Whenever he would fall off the merry go round at school and come home sniveling to his grandmother not knowing if he would survive, Muh always told him to worry about nothing, but instead pray about everything. She said there was a man named Jesus who already knew everything and would always help him. Yes, that's what he would do. He didn't know how to do much being he just started Kindergarten, but he did know how to pray. It was the very first thing Muh had ever taught him, so pray he would.