His...

His Broken Spell Part 4 (Mateo's POV)

Mateo convinced Johnathan that he would go to their previous hide-outs to get the scrolls and books that would help Dionne for her training.

"But we talked about this. Ino would go. Why are you really volunteering for this task?"

"I just need to get away. It will only be a week but it will be enough to sort my thoughts."

John nodded in understanding. "Ah, young love. You know you shouldn't be running away. You should face this head on."

"I've been dealing with this at Dionne's pace. If it were up to me, I'd ask for a wedding ceremony right away."

"That serious, huh?"

"That's why I'm not running away. I just need some time to collect myself from rejection. I'll come back with renewed plans, you'll see."

"Alright. I'll train her while you're away."

With a travel bag full of clothes and necessary supplies, he ventured out that night. Everyone in the Huxley family knew where he was going except for Dionne. He was such a coward for not waking her up. But he was not a blockhead for not saying goodbye.

He entrusted Nadia with a letter of explanation. He even wrote down that he will be thinking of her because it was the truth. He will be filled with thoughts of the woman.

"Javier, we'll stay at the town's inn for the night," he said to one of the vampire escorts who accompanied him.

"We'll secure the area. Are you sure that you would be alright here? We can find an underground hide-out or tunnel," Javier suggested.

"This will do."

He had been so exhausted from using suppressing spell the whole day that he just wanted to release his magic. It was a blessing for him to learn the cloaking spell so now he could cast it in his bedroom. After the cloaking spell had been in place, he was able to breathe freely again as his magic was out in the open but still hidden in the room.

It took him two days to retrieve the books, so naturally, it would also take him another two days to return. But he was not ready yet. He needed to have a concrete plan on how to woo Dionne while looking past his heartbreak.

Their journey back became slower upon his request. He knew this was troublesome for the vampire escorts yet he could not tell them that he was nursing his bruised ego.

And because of this, they encountered a lone dragon-shifter along the way.

It was a three versus one fight. Mateo fought alongside his two vampire escorts. They outnumbered the creature but they still had a hard time rendering it unconscious. Javier injected it with the coma-inducing medicine and brought the creature with them back to Carmarine.

More than a week had passed and he gained more courage to make his way back.

What he did not expect was that Dionne, John, and Ino would go on a mission the same day of his return. He was so mad at himself for slowing down. He should have been there to train Dionne.

The image of his ransacked coven flashed before his eyes. The police tape, the blood, the mangled bodies... He was too late.

He breathed deeply and reminded himself that he was not late now. He still had time.

His feet took him to the courtyard because he was sure that he would find Dionne there. And there she was, sitting near the fountain, with her eyes closed. She was so open to threats, so vulnerable.

He was waiting for her to react to his presence but she did not, not until he was already near her. It was then that she opened her eyes. The golden specs of it welcomed him and even if he was frowning at her, she looked... pleased?