Chapter 24

It was another afternoon, time for Dionne's combat training. She looked for her recent sparring partner, who was also an escort. She learned that her partner was assigned to an event so instead of doing nothing, she proceeded to the gym. It was going to be her second time that day to work-out but she had nothing else to do.

"Oh sorry. I thought you are still in the basement," she told Johnathan, who was lifting weights.

"We're done for the day. Did you change your work-out routine? I thought that you use the gym at the crack of dawn."

"I do. I did that this morning. I was supposed to spar but my sparring partner is assigned to an upcoming event," she explained as she sat on one of the benches.

"We can spar later if you'd like? I'll just finish my work-out routine," he offered.

"That would be great. I will do some warm-ups now."

"Yeah. You do that. So, how's your magic training coming along?"

She started to stretch her muscles. "I am becoming addicted to it. It is exhausting but I enjoy it."

"What does your magic source look like?" Jonathan asked.

"I started with one wine bottle. Now I have a rack full. Mateo said I will have a wine cellar in no time," she explained happily, imagining her future wine cellar.

"Wine bottle, huh. Mine's a library. I started with a book, then I had a shelf full of them. Now, I'm here."

This piqued her attention. "Do you know the others' sources, too?"

"You already know that Mateo had a ship full of crates," he paused as if to recall what the others have. "Let me see. Bill had a pottery full of earthen jars. Colin said he had an island full of treasure chests."

Then he chuckled. "And my nephew has a garden full of flower vases."

She nodded. "Why do you think our minds conjured them? I did not even know that I was looking for a bottle. It just appeared there out of nowhere."

"It's no secret that Bill had a deep connection with jars. He told us about his love for making clay pots when he was a child. Then there's Colin whose family likes to collect valuable items that could pass up as treasures. I guess that's why his source is a treasure chest," he explained.

She listened intently, honored that she got to know these parts of their lives.

"For me, well, I was sickly when I was a kid, so I was often in the company of books. On the other hand, Ino was often gardening with his mother, who was my sister-in-law."

He smiled again. "Ino was the youngest child in my brother's family. He was a shy boy even back then. So, he usually spent time with his Mama."

She smiled imagining how all their magic sources connect to their personalities. "What about Mateo?"

"Ah, Mateo traveled a lot during his childhood. Not for vacation, but for work."

"He worked as a child?"

He nodded. "Before a coven took him in, he was working in cargo ships, thus the crates."

"Oh, I did not know," she said, thinking of all the times they talked but he never mentioned it.

"Our magic sources are connected to us, to how we lived."

To how we lived.

But she did not know how she lived before. Why wine bottles? Was she an alcoholic? She was living a different life now but her memories were still missing.