His...

His Broken Spell Part 2 (Mateo's POV)

Back in the hide-out, Mateo informed the coven about what he found out. They were all skeptical about the woman named Dionne. But Bill thought that Mateo could befriend her to ask more about the family. While the other sorcerers had their own assignments to look into, he was busy gaining Dionne's trust.

However, even before Bill ordered him to do so, he had tried getting close to Dionne. She had not been in the right wing whenever he went to The House so he tried to ask Miss Kymme for their telephone number. The vampire receptionist thought that he was asking for the contact information of The House so she gave him the office telephone number. He called twice and both times different receptionists answered.

So he devised a plan to make contact. He wrote Dionne a letter asking for their home telephone number. Now, the problem was how to get the letter into the middle hall of the manor?

"Excuse me," he called the attention of one of the maids.

"How may I help you sir?" The human maid asked.

"I'm Mateo and I'm one of the members of The House. I'm also a friend of Dionne. Do you know her?"

"Yes, I know Miss Dionne. Why?"

"I'm a friend but I cannot trespass and go to the main house so is it alright for you to deliver this letter?"

The woman's eyes widened and offered him a smile. "Of course, I'll be sure that she receives this. I'm Nadia and I'll be happy to deliver you her reply."

"Really? I mean, if it's not too much to ask, can you do it?"

"Of course."

He usually waited for Nadia in the right wing's lobby and she did not disappoint when she returned with the letter containing the telephone number. He kept on telling himself that this was for the mission not because he wanted to hear her voice.

It seemed that Nadia was not the only one who noticed him always waiting in the lounge. A vampire named Von approached him.

"Good evening, sir. I am Von, the head of the Huxley household."

"Good evening, Von. I'm Mateo. To what do I owe this meeting?"

"I can't help but notice that you exchanged letters with one of our maids. The security details intercepted your exchange and learned that there wasn't a need to be alarmed. You were only speaking with one of my family members."

Internally, he smiled. The man before him was one the Huxley's. Good job.

"Yes, I am friends with Dionne."

"Of course. And I am happy to know that she has a friend," Von said. The vampire said that he was happy but Mateo did not see it in his eyes. He was only saying this for pleasantries and not because he meant it, Mateo thought.

"And I'm happy to be her friend." As the words left his mouth he realized that the lines were blurring. Was he only befriending the woman because of the mission or was he truly a friend to her?

"Dionne's very delicate so do not do anything rash with her," he warned.

"I'll keep that in mind."

He thought that either the family was protective of Dionne or they were imprisoning her. He needed to speak to her at once.

Because he had the telephone number, he did not pass the opportunity. He looked for a telephone booth one evening.

"Hello?" A voice answered on the other end and he recognized it to be Nadia.