Chapter 29

They reached the cabin past lunch time. The two vampire escorts set up their tents far from the cabin and in opposite directions. Mateo started to cast a cloaking spell around the cabin.

It was a small cabin built by Jugger and Theodore especially for Dionne. It has one bathroom with a toilet, a bedroom with one trundle bed and a cabinet, and one kitchen. The kitchen had a stove and a table for dining. Overall it was perfect for one person or two.

"Are you sure? I think we can all fit in the cabin."

"I...err...want to sleep under the stars, Miss," Nadia said.

"The cabin is also under the stars, Nadia."

"But... Javier already built me a tent! Yes, that's it! And sleeping inside a tent will make me feel like I'm one with nature."

She regarded the maid skeptically. "Alright. If you insist."

When Mateo was done with the spell, she was able to release the suppressing spell. After a little rest, they went out to the waterfalls to start her meditation while Mateo stood guard as he casted suppressing spell over them.

The same happened on their second day. She even submerged herself in the shallow part of the river and tried to clear her head. When she emerged from underwater, she decided to sit cross-legged on a rock.

The splashing of water drowned the other noise. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply. Unlike yesterday, obscured faces began to form in her mind today. The memory was foggy but she knew that there was an old woman and a man. Then there was another woman, a young one.

She could feel that she knew them, like they were a huge part of her youth. When she tried to push further, her head felt like it was about to burst. Dizziness washed over her and she fell into the water.

___

She woke up and realized that she was on the bed.

"Thank the gods, you're awake. You fell in the river but thankfully, you didn't hit your head. We brought you back here and I let Nadia change your clothes," he said as he helped her sit down.

"Thank you," she said as she remembered what happened earlier. Then her stomach grumbled.

"I brought you soup for dinner." He stood up and placed the bowl on the bed table. He even scooped a spoonful of soup and blew on it.

"You don't have to do this. I'm fine."

"Let me take care of you, please." She could not argue when he looked at her like that so she complied and let him feed her. She told him of what had transpired in the waterfall and he was glad to know of it.

"Tomorrow's our last day here, then we'll hike back. I'm really glad that this place helped you," he said and put the used bowl and utensils away. "Do you need anything else?"

"No, I'm fine. Where will you sleep?" She asked because she woke up this morning and found him on the kitchen floor, lying on a bed out of blankets.

"Uhh. In the kitchen again."

"This is a trundle bed," she carefully got up and pulled the trundle bed underneath the top bed. "You can sleep here, not on the kitchen floor."

"I... are you sure? I don't want to intrude in your personal space."

"You will not."

After both of them freshened up, he dimmed the lights and moved to tuck her in. "Good night," he said as he kissed her on the forehead.

"Good night," she whispered back. "Can I kiss you, too?"

He chuckled. "Of course."

"On the lips?"