Chapter 59 - King's Court

Start from the beginning

"I see. The Uhlaran elevators worked without the need of focus markings or fairy rock."

"And how did that work for them?"

"Great, until we came along."

For the first time, Roran saw the tiniest of smiles appear on Pelkha's face.

The elevator came to a gentle halt and the doors silently slid open. Pelkha led the way forward. The upper floors were similar in style to the lower ones, gaudy with red carpets. Though it was quieter up here and the walls were covered in focus markings, all of them worked directly into the stone with precious metals.

"What are the markings for?" asked Roran.

"To protect the sanctuary against attack," said Pelkha. "And to keep out unwanted guests."

"Unwanted guests?"

"Like lyhlim," said Pelkha, giving Roran a sideways glance.

Roran froze midstep. He glanced around again, wondering if Sarah had truly been parted from him. In answer to his question, Roran felt two taps on the back of his leg. Looking down at his shadow, Roran saw faint movement. Sarah was still with him even if she wasn't visible or audible.

Roran swallowed and hurried after Pelkha. She led him to a large open room with several desks, tables, and bookshelves. A small handful of clerks milled about, carrying tomes and sheaves of paper. One desk in particular was laden with various letters and missives.

Pelkha reached the desk and opened a drawer, retrieving a small wooden box. She opened the box to reveal a leatherbound notebook and a golden bangle covered in fine scrollwork.

"This insignia will be proof that you work directly for the King." She flipped it over. "It already has your name and rank inscribed on it."

Roran accepted the bangle. It felt warm to the touch, the surface silky smooth under his fingers. He slipped it over his wrist.

"This is a brief overview of the rules and etiquette you'll be expected to follow," she continued, handing him the notebook. It was surprisingly small and light. Roran flipped through it, noting that it only had a handful of notes on each page.

"You'll primarily be working with the shadow clerks throughout the city. I'll use them to contact you with instructions and missives. Otherwise, you'll report directly to me. We'll also be etching you with a communication marking, though it appears you're already familiar with those."

Roran nodded. He'd become reliant on his etching to communicate with his comrades over the years.

"Most of your work will be within the city, however we may need you to leave the city from time to time. In those circumstances we'll allow you to pick your own team, though you'll be the one responsible for ensuring that the tasks get done."

"What sort of jobs will I be doing?"

"Whatever we need you to do."

"Such as?"

"It depends."

Roran blinked at her. "I'm not going to get a straight answer, am I?"

Pelkha shrugged. "Use your imagination. The only thing I can say for sure is that you'll be asked to act as a bodyguard from time to time."

"Guarding who?"

"People of importance, though there is one person in particular that we've been asked to look after. You'll meet him before you go home for the day."

"Who's that?"

"King Vassilis's son, Prince Vassilian."

(2)