Divine Temptations

Start from the beginning

"There's a vital key missing connecting everything-my deep hatred of immortals and mortals, the hellish nightmare which keeps haunting me, the mysterious reason why I get along with Atta and Pollux, the occasional twitching of my fingers urging me to kill them, and most confusing... why I was able to remember those two and Nero rather easily despite someone going through the trouble of sealing my memories in the first place."

"How do those concerns tie into the reckless stunt you tried pulling? For a goddess you've barely known a week nonetheless."

I emitted a weak sigh, shyly scratching my neck at Typhoon's chastising manner.

"Chalk it up to solitude, I suppose. When I first got here, being alone was all I wanted. However, I've learned there's a vast difference between distancing yourself and being lonely because you have nothing. With no knowledge of myself, friends, or family, deep down, I quickly accepted whatever info anyone knew about me."

"Gilgamesh deeming me as a god-killer, Okita's story of our friendship, Atalanta's and Pollux's regaling tales from our time as Argonauti, even Nero's caring sincerity for me- I'm beginning to doubt all of it. And... more than that, doubt myself."

"I'm uncertain if healing her is the right step forward... once my memories return and reveal everything, if my rumored hatred for gods proves true, we'll without a doubt become adversaries. Yet. I still want to help Ishtar."

"...Why must you always make my job more difficult. Fine. Do as you wish, but please be mindful of how much you use. I don't want you collapsing."

Typhoon spoke with great concern but said nothing more. The bubble popped, releasing the spell. Ishtar's bluish veins gleamed. Her complexion brightened and dazzled under the golden stream as the magic flooded her body in soft waves.

Darkness returned to the space. Lingering orbs of light dancing about from the spell's effects quickly became swallowed by the vast void.

"Well? Is that good enough, Typhoon?"

"Is she... Ishtar seems better, doesn't she?"

Unbecoming of me, my voice came out smaller than usual. The words tripped over each other in a hushed whisper. I wasn't sure if it was exhaustion settling in from the spell or something else entirely, but I couldn't bring myself to voice the negative thoughts forming deep in my mind.

"Her breathing hasn't improved, though, it didn't decline either. And while it isn't drastic, the dark circles under her eyes appear smaller, and her heartbeat has regained some life. While far from the best results we could have achieved, your efforts weren't in vain. She only needs time to become accustomed to the spell. After frequent exposure, Ishtar's body should drastically improve with each use."

"...Frankly, my worries are focused around you rather than her."

"They aren't needed for the time being. I feel superb."

"Which, typically, would be cause for celebration, but I find it peculiar in this instance."

I threw my head back and blew out an exasperated sigh. Typhoon's persistence had zero limits. Knowing what awaited, I conceded without struggle, rolling my eyes secretly. "Let's hear it then. I'll walk while you talk."

"I focused on the rocky path ahead, hearing the pebbles crunch rhythmically under my feet. The sixth gate vanished behind us as we passed through, stopping atop a tall hill, five gates looming in the distance, peeking through a layer of mist clouding the view.

A dragged-out, almost compelled whistle escaped Typhoon. The sound echoed far and wide, stretching for minutes before suddenly cutting off.

Two and a half minutes, talk about a record. Whatever... or whoever canceled out the noise, we're eons away from their location.