Life Cut Short

Chapter 58

Jack's POV

Hiccup and I entered the hospital to get Venice's room number. And according to the nurse, her room number was 314.

"Are you sure about this?" Hiccup worriedly asked.

"Do I even have a choice?" I sighed

I softly knocked at least three times before slowly opening the door. The cold air brought by the airconditioner of the room swiftly brushed through my face sending tingles to my spine.

"Jack." My father slowly stood up to walk towards me. His hand rested on my shoulder. He looked over at Venice's parents then back at me.

"We'll give you a few minutes to talk." He said and left the room, Venice's parents followed shortly after.

"Should I go as well?" Hiccup asked.

"No need." I replied as I slowly headed towards Venice who was lying on the hospital bed, unconscious.

Hiccup carried two chairs and placed them beside the bed so that he and I could sit.

"What now?" Hiccup asked.

"I don't know..." I sighed. "Wait for her to wake up."

And as if on cue, Venice's right hand twitched and her eyes slowly opened.

"Venice?" I whispered.

She looked to her right side and saw me, she slowly opened her mouth to speak "J-jackson?"

"Yeah, it's me." I smiled.

Then she looked at Hiccup.

"I'm Hiccup." Hiccup introduced.

"H-hi" Venice slightly smiled, her voice a bit husky.

"Who did this to you?" I asked, my brows arched.

"I-I'm not sure who they are." She sighed. "They wore masks."

"What did they do to you?"

"There were more than 20 of us who were captured. They kept us in a dark place. They told us that they were gonna sell us to the black market." Tears were at the corners of her eyes. She took in one more deep breath before continuing.

"They'd feed us once, or if we're lucky, twice a day. I was able to escape when one guy beated our capturers so I took the chance and made a run for it, earning 4 stabs in the process." She winced as she tried to adjust herself in the bed.

Hiccup gave her a look of sadness, hearing what she had gone through made my heart ache.

"I-I'm not gonna stay here much long, Jackson. But it was good to see you guys before I die. Nice meeting you Hiccup." She coughed then forced herself to smile.

"Hey, hey, you're not dying." My brows arched. I felt my eyes watering up. Dang it, Venice, stop saying things like those.

"You have to promise me that you'll be alive and well..." I paused.

"I want to introduce you to someone." I smiled, thinking of Elsa. Come to think of it, I already miss her terribly.

Her eyes brightened up "I'm happy to see you happy, Jackson." She replied "But," she sighed

"All I can do is promise." Her eyes saddened as they slowly closed and she let out a deep breathe.

'All I can do is promise' her statement echoed through my head, was she really serious about her state?