Prologue

Myunghee woke up to the cluttering of utensils downstairs three minutes before her alarm clock went on.

Beep-beep-beep

She slid her finger over the screen and put on her slippers to walk downstairs where her husband and her son was 'trying' to make a birthday cake for her.

"Mumma!" Her son ran towards and hugged her affectionately. "Happy Birthday mom."

"Thank you Hannie." She kissed his forehead.

"You're awake?" Her husband smiled at her affectionately as she smiled back at him. "I'll make you a coffee."

"Dad!" Her son shrieked.

"What happened?" He jumped at the loud voice of their son. He was just 6 years old but his voice was already like a metal bell. When he grows up, she was sure that his voice will be deep like a well.

They just shared the same name, her son was nothing like him.

"You did not wish mumma birthday." He tugged at his pants because only they were upto his reach. "Come on, wish her!"

Her husband chuckled and answered him, "I wished her last night Han."

Myunghee laughed out loud recalling how 'hungry' of a wish was that. They were lucky that soundproof wallpapers were invented before their son turned five or else they'd had to hear things like, 'Mumma why were you screaming last night?' or 'Mumma I could hear the bed creaking in your bedroom, was something the matter?'.

Even though he doesn't share the physical characteristics of him, her son definitely was smart like he was.

The doorbell rang and her son ran for it before she could open it. It was a courier boy who brought in a usual gift box for her, which like always, did not have a name or an address.

Myunghee was well aware what it was, and she was glad they arrived on her birthday right at time.

"Mumma! It's those purple flowers once again!" Her son shouted when she was signing the lists given by the courier boy.

"Han, I told you so many times not to open others couriers without permission." Her husband shouted from the kitchen.

"It's okay Han, don't worry." She smiled at him.

She held the wisterias in her hand and strode towards the balcony to plant those in their usual place once again. Their balcony was a personal space of violet atmosphere. She has received and planted so many wisterias in the past years that it made their balcony look like a purple galaxy.

"Mumma!" Her son called her once again while she was gardening. "Minghao uncle is calling, he's asking why you ain't reading his texts!"

"Tell him that she's busy and he's not allowed to text her." Her husband dictated to their son.

"Dad, he's asking you to shut up."

Myunghee laughed imagining Minghao's flat expression while he would have said those words.

"Tell him he's invited tonight." Myunghee came to the living room and conveyed her message through her son.

"Why won't you come!? Uncle!" Her son roared through her phone bursting Minghao's eardrums.

Her husband nudged her arm. "Look here." Together they crouched down in front of the oven to gaze at the golden brown cake.

"Wow." She murmured. "You are now eligible to become a baker."

"See, I told you. I'll be a baker one day." He smiled cheekily hugging her from back. "You're still so warm."

"You too are so warm," she caressed his cheek while pecking on the other one.

"Guess the flavour I prepared for today's cake!" He jogged backwards and removed the lid from a container. "Ta da! Butterscotch!"

The smell was not what made her nostalgic. It was the flavour which connected her to those memories which were now locked up and kept safe in her hippocampus. In addition to the photo albums in her bunkers.

She smiled at her husband and kissed him on the lips, not caring if their son was going to see them at the moment or not. She just felt like she should kiss him right now.

When she pulled away, her husband supported her by locking his hands behind her back.

"I love you," She said.

"I know."