Socialize

Myunghee and Kaede came to the common room after getting ready for their first day. She saw Kasana standing in the middle of the common room and behind her was a beautiful man wearing blue sweatshirt and black jeans.

"You all already know that I am the head of office for International students. This handsome young man beside me is chosen as the Leader of Students Association this year."
She said with a smile and the handsome young man beside her laughed shyly.

"My name is Hong Joshua."

He's a Korean, she thought and smiled in her mind.

"And I'm studying Chemistry, in my second year currently." He said very politely and bowed to everyone. "Nice to meet all of you beautiful ladies, I hope your first day here is wonderful."

All of them introduced ourselves to Joshua. He was very happy to see Korean faces in the girls block as well.

"Last year, there were no Korean girls. I was so startled. I thought Koreans have the highest migration rate for international studies." He kind of whined which made the others laugh.

"But I'm happy you guys are here this year. We'll have much more fun than usual in Chuseok." He smiled playfully and got up to leave. "Consider all the Koreans here as a family, I'll introduce you guys later."

Joshua was an American-Korean who was graduating in Chemistry. Some girls in the building were already head over heels for him while some seniors were clearly flirting with him infront of everyone. He seemed unfazed as if he was used to it. It looked like he liked attention but upto a point till he could handle it.

"He is a self proclaimed bachelor for life", Silvia whispered to Myunghee from beside. "Last year he got 24 proposals but he rejected them all. Can you believe he had the guts to reject the proposal of the Dean's daughter." She scoffed.

"Who is the Dean's daughter?" Myunghee asked her curiously.

"Me." She looked at her.

He waved a bye and pointed a thumb to them wishing them luck. And then left.

~

"I liked that Joshua guy," Kaede blurted as we were walking towards our college from the hostel. It was a small cemented path but it took time as it was slippery because of the rains.

Myunghee suppressed her laugh and turned to look at Kaede who was completely serious. "Girl! Silvia has her eyes on him. And she's the Dean's daughter."

"I heard she was rejected by him."

"You heard it too?"

Both of them realized that Silvia was a cunning woman who went around the common room and narrated the story of her getting rejected even after being the Dean's daughter, to everyone. Just to keep them away from Joshua.

It's their first day, and they already have started meeting creepy people.

"I don't tend to give up if I have a chance." Kaede chuckled and waved at Myunghee as they parted ways towards their respective blocks.

~

The day went well, no professor in her schedule taught them anything that day as the first was supposed to be spent to know each other. But Myunghee was least interested because right now she was sitting inside the class and looking out of the window she was able to see things that she pays to watch in movies.

Beautiful sceneries.

It was so breath taking that she had to resist the urge of running to her hostel room, bring her camera and capture this sight. She doesn't remember anything that happened in class because she was busy copying the whole scenery in her mind so that she would paint it as soon as she got back.

She heard few Korean surnames but the class was overcrowded to know who was speaking. After 6 hours of introduction classes, she got to know only one name and that is Shevon Kates from Canada who happened to sit beside her in every lecture.

Of Course, they did not talk. Because Myunghee couldn't acknowledge her presence and Shevon was too shy to start a conversation.

So her first day in class passed without being able to socialize and make any friends. She deserved applauds for not remembering or even knowing a single
name or face from her department.

She rationalised with herself that she has the whole year plus she doesn't need to know all the 185 students of the class. So she reserved this anxiety of being friendless for some other time, and went out with Kaede to shop for groceries.