Change

Kasana gave her a sheet which included her schedule for the whole semester, a foreign student voucher which she can use to buy food from the nearby supermarket until she gets an account opened in a Russian bank, a pass for public transport access and her room card.

She was sharing her room with a Japanese girl, Nuyazumi Kaede. As soon as she entered her room, she knew it was going to be a tough year because this girl was nowhere near to the traits she possessed.

Kaede was tall, had a slim body, had high pointed nose, a pretty face and a devastating high pitched voice.

"You're my roommate!" She said in a 'low tone' which made Myunghee flinch and shut her ears. She tried not to be rude to Kaede because she looked very sweet and nice.

"Uhm yeah. My name is Ahn Myunghee. I'm from South Korea." She smiled awkwardly at her. "You're Kaede, right?"

She nodded and went forward to clear her stuff from Myunghee's bed. "I'm sorry the room is a bit messy I was trying to find a t shirt. Seems like I did not bring it."

Myunghee looked around and realized that the room wasn't messy but it was wrecked. Like a ship was hit by storm in the sea. Not just clothes, she also saw packets of some Japanese snack which Kaede must have been munching on all this time.

She hopped towards her bed in tippy toes and placed her suitcase on top of it.

The room was perfect. It wasn't big but wasn't small as well. There were two bathrooms (thankfully because sharing the same bathroom with Kaede would have been too much for her), two study tables, two cupboards and two small sized bed.

"Today there is an introductory party for the Freshers in common room. So get freshed as fast as you can." Kaede said and pushed her inside the bathroom not giving Myunghee any chance to react.

Myunghee found a blue tee and a pair of jeans lying on her bed when she came out. Kaede chose it for her to wear and went to take a shower herself when she was done with cleaning the room.

Myunghee changed and went to sit near the window pane, which had the most beautiful scenery that she only drew in paintings. Tomsk was really s beautiful place, and she was testimonial to it.

Since she was a kid, she was always fascinated to outdoor. It was as if the four walls weren't enough for her. She had to go around every day, had to visit the nearby temple everyday, had to go to the garden and to grandma Choi's apple garden everyday to be contented.

This trait never vanished and she kept herself in company of people who liked going outside, adored natural beauties, and most importantly, preferred mountains more than beaches.
Mountains interested her. She used to believe that when you reach the top of the mountain, Gods can hear what you say. Grandma Choi told this to her. And she was so confident while spurting things like this that the little girl would hold it as a fact and make it her belief for the rest of her life.
She smiled as the beautiful shades in front of her eyes reminded her of Grandma Choi. She was dead now, but she taught her how to paint. She would have been impressed by the Gods for painting such a beautiful scenery right now. She would even have went on to compliment them like an absolute art teacher would do.

She took out her camera and took a picture of this scenery. It was too beautiful to miss out, and too beautiful for watching it for just once.

~~

The introductory party was great. She got to know that there were three Korean girls who will be in designing class with her from tomorrow. The strength of engineering students was larger than it is expected from women.
There were a total of 75 women in her course.
She and Kaede were in different courses which made Kaede a bit sad because now she won't be able to ask for her help in studies. Myunghee laughed at her childish behaviour.

"I so expected it to be someone from Arts department as well." She whined. "Your course and my course have a difference of 0 and infinity."

"You are right", was the only thing Myunghee could say while laughing hard at Kaede's fits of childish rage.

If there was one thing about Kaede which she disliked at the first glance, there were 100 things about her which she loved after seeing how Kaede introduced herself to the girls in the common room.
She was confident, had an awesome sense of humour, had an overly optimistic attitude about life and she was wonderful. She wasn't the typical roommate Myunghee would have liked but she had to be the friend one needs to keep by their side. As a mood maker.

The dinner was good. For their first day, they were served with traditional Russian dishes which were absolutely delicious. After the dinner, she used the common room's telephone to call her mom and tell her about her day. Her mom was distressed because she left but she assured her mom that it's only for 6 years and she'll still visit them at the end of every semesters.

Her mom still wasn't satisfied so she hung up the call after wishing her luck for her first day. She fell back on her bed and closed her eyes.

She was in a Russian city, inside a Russian building, under a Russian roof breathing the Russian air. Though everything was not the same anymore she didn't feel the change for a bit.

It wasn't her who was to change, but everything around her would.

~~