Apples

The month of October had only three days left. November will succeed in three days and Ball night with all its glory and glamour will arrive in 40 days.

And Myunghee still couldn't gather the courage to ask out Minghao. Myunghee got asked out by a guy, who was also Korean and a senior year medical student. His name was Jeon Wonwoo. He was tall and handsome, good with his words and a gentlemen. But somehow those things didn't matter to her anymore. She politely rejected him because she thought that she still had some kind of chance left with Minghao.

Day by day, even though he didn't do anything in particular with a different intention, but it seemed to Myunghee and Seungkwan that Minghao was trying to gain Myunghee's attention with every small thing.

"How's my brownie? I learnt to bake it properly now. It's 175° not 125°, that's where I...."

"Hey! How's this watch? My brother sent it to me yesterday as a random gift..."

Myunghee also liked the small efforts that he was making for her. Sometimes tying her shoelaces, dusting off the dandruffs from her shoulder, braiding her hair during lectures. She didn't want to rationalise his actions because she enjoyed every bit of them.

She fell more deeply for him in these days, and if she wouldn't tell it to him now she might lose him to the other huge crowd of girls who were eyeing him like hyenas.

Minghao was really famous not just among the engineering students, but he also got asked out by seniors from Humanities and Medical School. Though he refused all of them, he never asked out any girl yet.

Myunghee had hope that it might be her. Somehow.

"Tell him now," Seungkwan said standing beside her as both of them watched another girl getting rejected by Minghao from a distance. "Maybe one day a girl will ask him out and he'll actually say yes to her, you never know."

"I'll ask him now."

Seungkwan hit her in the back making her groan. "Not in front of me dude! Ask him in private."

"I'm not asking him out right now." She cleared it for him, "I'll just ask him whether he has someone he wants to ask out."

"And what if it's not you?" Seungkwan flicked her forehead, "What then?"

"We'll see, behave normal." She stated and walked towards Minghao with Seungkwan trodding behind her.

Minghao looked at them and shrugged with a flat smile, "I don't get it why all the girls are after me."

He was actually being flocked by girls wherever he went now-a-days. In the last fifteen days Minghao experienced everything right from having a girl climb up his window for handing him a love letter to being chased by a sprinter all around the campus for accepting her proposal to receiving cold shoulders from the dean for rejecting his daughter. Yes, Silvia.

Seungkwan chuckled lightheartedly earning a glare from Myunghee. He stopped abruptly allowing her to continue with what she planned to do.

"Minghao," she nudged his arm, "do you have a girl in mind."

Minghao looked at her for a second then turned his gaze towards the apple tree near the gate. "Yes, I do."

She followed his gaze but could only see the apple tree.

Just an apple tree

"It isn't Myunghee, is it?" Seungkwan suddenly butted in earning another glare and loads of mental curses from her. But she understood that he was just trying to help her in this.

Minghao chuckled at Seungkwan's question. "God, no! Why would it be her?"

~

Myunghee was distraught and broken. It wasn't her, he was looking out for. It was someone else. Someone, who wasn't Myunghee. He'll dance with someone else. Someone who wasn't Myunghee. He'll smile and say the three lovely words, I like you, to someone else. Someone who wasn't Myunghee.

Kaede brought her dinner to their room and also snuggled in some marshmallows and chocolate waffles but it interested Myunghee less than the fact that Minghao, her first love, liked someone else. Someone who wasn't Myunghee.

Her phone rang indicating a call from Seungkwan. She picked it up. Though she was extremely exhausted and feeling like she was having a 104° degree of fever in her body, which was nothing but somatic symptoms after experience of shock. She still came down near the apple tree. Kaede accompanied her.

"You're looking like zombie." He sneered.

"Thanks," she didn't have the slightest energy to match his high end random serotonin boost.

"Well, I guessed that you would want to confess to Minghao now that you know... Won't you?"

She nodded. She already thought it over. If he doesn't like her romantically and saw her only as a friend then it worked very well for her. Because then she would aim for a proper closure after knowing what he feels and if there's really no scope left.

As she thought more and more about this, more did she feel like being desperate to want to be with Minghao. Desperate enough to be shameless and ask him out even when he cleared it that he was looking out for someone else. She knew she would be making it difficult for him, but he also made it difficult for her.

"When?" Seungkwan tapped his foot. "You know you have to do it as fast you can, right?"

Myunghee nodded again. "Anytime, but not sooner."

"You're doing it right now," Myunghee opened her mouth to protest but was dumbfounded to have Seungkwan grab her waist from the back all of a sudden.

"Throw it with all your force aiming for an apple," Seungkwan stood behind her, shoving a rock in her hands and positioned her hands in air. "If it falls then you tell him tomorrow."

She laughed, "This is my arena, I've always lacked at aiming."

Seungkwan nodded and pointed his chin towards the apple she was aiming at. "Let's see."

To her surprise the apple actually fell down making her gasp. For the first time in her life she aimed for something perfectly, with the wrong thing at stake.

"I'll be ready there with cameras and news reporters, be prepared." He laughed and went ahead to tell about the next day's grand event to Kaede. She ran towards Myunghee and happily hugged her.

Myunghee was still dumbfounded.