Christmas

In honour of Christmas, a huge feast was organized for the students who were staying back for the holiday week. All the girls who lived in Russia left to celebrate the big day with their families.

Since only fifteen to twenty people remained in the hostel, everyone volunteered to do something.

Myunghee and Kaede got the job of cleaning and rearranging the common room so that there's enough space for a Christmas tree and everything else as well.

This was the hostel life she always dreamt of.

Everyone was waiting for their Christmas gifts from their families as the courier boy was making frequent rounds of the hostel blocks. Myunghee and Kaede weren't expecting any gifts as they weren't Christians, so they instead chose to dose off on the couches in the common room.

"Myunghee! You have a courier!" A girl's call woke her up, since she was always a very light sleeper. 

She collected the box from the front door, rubbing her eyes. There was no sender's name, only Myunghee's name and address. The box contained a black beret hat. 

"Who gave it?" She mumbled to herself. Even after much thinking, she could only think of Jeonghan, who had the means to gift her something this expensive. But he wasn't the type to do things secretively.

"Minghao," Kaede said sitting up straight. The ruffling of the gift wrapper woke her up. 

"Ayi come on!" Myunghee shook her head. "It can't be him."

"It is. My instincts are never wrong." Kaede stuck out her tongue at Myunghee. "You'll know."

Even if it was very unlikely that Minghao gave her that hat, she still weighed the possibility. It was becoming difficult for her to know what he was thinking because if he kept on doing such things, she might never get over him.

~

On Christmas morning she was to meet Seungkwan and Minghao for exchanging gifts. Seungkwan made some time for them because apparently he was invited for dinner at Kamilla's place.

"I never thought I would end up spending two months with her." He laughed telling Myunghee about the things Kamilla planned for the night, as they both sat on a bench waiting for Minghao.

"But Seungkwan," Myunghee interrupted him. "When are you going to tell her about the letters?"

"Don't know." He shrugged, his smile dipping. "I'm too nervous about that. I  want to tell her but I am scared about how she'll react."

"You gotta tell her first to know her reaction Seungkwan," she patted his back affectionately.

"Minghao!" Seungkwan cheered at the sight of a shuddering Minghao, jogging towards them. "Merry Chris--"

"I'm a Buddhist." He shut him up squatting beside Myunghee. 

"You're so unromantic." Seungkwan threw an ice ball at him. 

"You were as well." Minghao laughed at him taking out two boxes of chocolate from inside his jacket pockets. "Here, your gifts."

The three of them chatted for while before returning back to their places because of the chilly weather. Before parting, Minghao reminded Myunghee about her medicines. She smiled slightly at him, mentally asking herself to rationalise whatever sweet thing he does because the hat was not from him.

Seungkwan gave them matching friendship bracelets, and brought one for himself as well. Minghao thought the idea was cliche but put it on nevertheless because he loved Seungkwan too. She gifted Seungkwan a cell phone hanger because he had a habit of mistaking other people's phone as his own, and gifted Minghao a headset because he broke his own.