Chapter 46 - Defeated

Start from the beginning

Karyn was at Roran's side in a heartbeat, with Nul close behind. Roran set Kell down. Karyn began pulling bandages out of her coat and quickly binding the worst of Kell's wounds.

"The cuts are shallow," said Karyn, her hands shaking as she wiped blood off of Kell's body. "I can stitch her up back at the house, but we need to get her out of this cold."

Nul gently touched Karyn's shoulder. "We have a little time, even in this state, her markings are still active."

"You mean she won't freeze to death?"

"Not immediately. Even now she's doing better than those two."

Darling was trembling, with tears running down her face to freeze on her chin. Jeremiah was holding her, his face pale and expression grim.

"Bind her wounds quickly," said Nul, "We have time but even Kell can't sustain her etchings if she loses too much blood."

Karyn nodded and set about bandaging up the worst of Kell's cuts. When she was done, Roran lifted Kell in his arms.

"I'll carry her," he said.

Sarah brought around his horse and helped Roran climb on. He settled Kell in front of him and quickly turned, heading back towards the manor. His friends were quick to follow behind him, Nul riding with Karyn and Darling and Jeremiah following after.

Glancing back, Roran saw the ruins of Phalyn's tomb. The doors were cracked and shattered, and the statue of Phalyn herself had been turned to rubble. Only Phalyn's interior tomb, where her comrades rested, had been left untouched.

Spurring his horse onward, Roran followed Sarah's directions back to the Cataegis estate. He kept an arm around Kell, feeling her body rise and fall with every breath.

"Please keep breathing," Roran whispered, "Just keep breathing."

Kell coughed in response and groaned. She settled back against him, still unconscious.

"We're being followed," said Sarah.

"By who?"

"Demetrio Edmundson. It looks like he trailed after us when we came here."

"Did he see what happened?"

"If he did, it was from afar, he was too far away for me to notice until we started back. He's following more closely now."

"Is he armed?"

Sarah nodded.

"Is he alone?"

"Yes."

Roran slowed slightly and gestured for Karyn to ride up beside him.

"We have a tail," Roran said, "Kell's fiance."

"Kell has a fiance?" asked Nul.

"Long story," said Karyn, "We'll fill you in later. What's the plan?"

"Sarah is going to keep an eye on him. Otherwise, I don't plan on doing anything unless he tries to follow us into the manor. If he comes onto the Cataegis estate, then I'll hand Kell off to you and go deal with him."

"If he saw what happened back there I don't think he's going to be amenable to a friendly conversation."

"I wasn't planning on talking to him, I was planning on killing him."

(2)

When they reached the edge of the Cataegis estate, Roran handed Kell off to Karyn. Once secure, Karyn trotted off to the stables with Darling and Jeremiah. Roran and Nul stayed behind, waiting out of sight.