thirty six

"Fucking jag-off of a father!"Spencer yelled, storming into her apartment, slamming the front door shut

Spencer yelled, storming into her apartment, slamming the front door shut.

"Babe, what's going on?" Jay frowned, walking into the hallway with his hands out.

"I have a half sister, Jay. She's 23. My dad cheated on my mom when I was a kid. Her name is Lottie. That's what's going on." Spencer seethed, throwing her keys onto the hall stand, pulling her jacket off and tossing it onto the rack.

"Wait, what? You've a sister?" He repeated and she nodded, running a hand through her hair.

"So you know, when he wasn't at home beating the shit out of my mother, he was out sleeping with another woman." Spencer took a few deep breaths to try and calm herself, knowing Jay didn't deserve to have her lashing out on him.

"I'll get the whiskey." Jay said after a minute, walking into the kitchen. Spencer sighed, sitting into her hip and taking a minute to collect herself.

"Thanks." She mumbled as she walked into the kitchen, Jay sliding a glass across the countertop to her.

"So, Lottie?" He prompted and Spencer nodded, pulling out a stool and sitting on it.
"Apparently she's fantastic. My grandparents couldn't shut up about how proud they are of her." She rolled her eyes.

"While my dad was ruining my mothers life, he was winning dad of the year for Lottie. He was never drunk around them, never hit them, showed up at every one of Lottie's school events. Went to the daddy-daughter dance with her. The dance I had to go to alone, by the way, because he didn't show up. She's a dancer, they said she's won awards and is actually well known. And now she's in town to do a show, and she wants to meet me."

Spencer sighed deeply, taking a mouthful of her whiskey as Jay walked around to the counter. "But do you want to meet her?" He frowned softly, standing in front of her. "I don't know." She whined, bending her head down and bumping the top of her head off his chest.

"Does she know what your dad did?" He asked, placing his hand on Spencer's arm. "I don't know." She repeated, sitting back up, slumping as she polished the rest of the glass.

"I doubt she's that great anyway." Jay shook his head, just agreeing with Spencer.

"My grandparents seem to think she is. They couldn't express how unbelievably proud them and my dad are of Lottie. She had everything handed to her on a silver platter, never had to work for anything by the looks of it, and she's the one they're proud of. Apparently, Lottie is the greatest thing to have ever happened to them. Not their first grandchild, her. She's perfect. She's all they ever wanted. I never once heard my dad tell me he was proud of me, nonetheless him tell me he even liked me." As she spoke, Spencer poured herself a second glass, taking a mouthful of it between sentences. By the time she was done, she had also finished her second glass.