thirty five

"5021 George, hold us down on a personal at 4800 Hazel

"5021 George, hold us down on a personal at 4800 Hazel." Jay said into his walkie talkie before setting it on the table.

"This is silly. You don't have to do this. They'd probably come by the district anyway, you'd meet them then." Spencer shook her head, dropping her fork onto the table.

"Yeah, but now we're dating- hold on this was your idea." Jay laughed, looking to her. "Yeah but I was a little drunk and feeling sentimental, we don't have to do this. I haven't seen these people since before I was deployed." Spencer nervously blabbed, anxiously bouncing her foot.

"It's gonna be fine." Jay assured her, squeezing her hand. Spencer's breath hitched and her eyes darted to the door when two people walked in. "That's them." She whispered to Jay who immediately stood up.

Spencer also stood up as her grandparents walked around to them. "Spencer, darling!" Her grandmother gushed, pulling Spencer into a hug. "Grandma." Spencer nervously laughed, patting the woman's back. "Grandpa." She sighed, looking to the man.

"You look so much older, you look gorgeous." Her grandma smiled, looking her up and down. "It has been 9 years." She mumbled under her breath but Jay heard it.

"Nice to meet you both formally, I'm Jay." He introduced himself to try and diffuse the situation.

"I know who you are." Her grandfather replied sternly, making jays face drop. "Oh I'm just kidding you son! Rachel had great things to say about you." Her grand parents sat down at the booth, Spencer bit her lip and sent Jay a look as he nervously scratched the back of his neck.

By the look on her grandmothers face, she could really tell she was trying. But that wasn't good enough. "So uh, Jay and I are living together now." Spencer told them, stuffing her mouth with omelette so Jay would be forced to talk.

"So, Jay, tell us about yourself." Her grandfather prompted as Spencer aggressively chewed her food. "Well I uh, I was in the army for half a decade with Spencer. I came home here, went to the academy, became a cop and I've been in intelligence for 4 years." He briefly explained, side eyeing his silent girlfriend who was gulping her coffee.

"Sweetheart, I've been meaning to call you." Her grandmother, Lonnie, completley ignored Jay and looked to Spencer. "Yeah well you've got a funny way of showing it." Spencer rolled her eyes, putting her coffee down.

Jay rubbed his hand up and down Spencer's leg to try and calm her down. "I need to talk to you about your dad- Jay, would you mind giving us a minute?" Her grandfather asked Jay who looked partially surprised. "Sure."
Jay nodded, standing up.