eighteen

"Jay! Where's my belt?" Spencer called as she walked through his apartment, buttoning up a flannel

"Uhh, couch." He mumbled as he drank out of his coffee cup. "Thanks." She mumbled, grabbing her gun holster and attaching it to her belt. She walked into the kitchen, accepting a coffee off Jay who was wearing a maroon coloured shirt with his usual leather jacket. "Is that one of my flannels?" He laughed, crossing his arms. "Yeah." She shrugged.

"Somebody will notice. I literally wore it yesterday." He told her, taking a drink from his own coffee. "It's just until we get to work. I've no clean clothes here but I have a shirt in my locker." She shook her head, going to walk away.

"Spencer." Jay grabbed her wrist to stop her from leaving the kitchen. "Mhm?"

"What's going on with you?" Jay said in a low tone, stepping close to her. "What?" She tried to play it off with a fake smile which he didn't buy. "You've been acting weird all this week. Like, putting us on the fence weird. Did I do something? Because if I did-"

She shut him up by pulling him in and kissing him. "You didn't do anything. It's nothing to do with us." She shook her head, trailing her hand down his arm. "Then what, Spencer? What is it?"

She sighed, looking to the floor and then back up to Jay. "We need to talk."

She led him into his living room and they sat down in the couch across from each other. "On Saturday, I have to go to New York. And I don't know how long I'll be gone for." She broke the news to him, watching hurt fill his face.

"Why?" He frowned as she reached out, holding one of his hands. "I don't know how much I'm allowed to tell you but last year, right before I moved to chicago, I put a guy away. He assaulted a detective in my unit, it was non narcotics related because he was a detective himself." She partially told him the truth. "And he's out. He escaped four days ago and we have reason to believe that he's come to chicago to find me. I'm going to New York to lead him back there." 

"Why does he want you? All you did was put the cuffs on." Jay was confused but Spencer couldn't bare telling him the whole truth about her and peters relationship. "He's a psycho, I don't know." She shrugged.

"Are you going in protective custody or will I still be able to reach you?" He asked her, covering all bases. "It's undecided but I'm gonna do everything I can do that I don't have to go into custody." She answered him, leaning in to gently peck his lips before standing up. "We better go." She mumbled, picking her badge up of the table.

------

"Hey has anyone seen Voight?" Spencer walked out of the locker room and into the bullpen, glancing into the empty office. "He's downstairs talking to Platt about adams investigation." Atwater piped up from his desk. "Thanks, Kev" Spencer smiled, walking out of the bullpen.