Chapter 26: The Perfect Gift

Tyler

"Dad, I'm telling you. It was horrible! They said Mr. Westbrook almost called you because Beta Davis wanted to fire him."

Dad's eyes widened at hearing this. I was telling my parents all about the abortion drama going on between the Westbrooks and the Davis. Mom gasped at hearing all that had unfolded between the two families.

"I understand, son, I do. But that is a private family matter. I can't involve myself until I'm asked to. And I certainly can't tell my Beta how to take care of his own family. Or my under Delta." - Dad explained, looking at me with a thoughtful expression.

"It would be a different matter if it was your baby, but it isn't." - He continued and I gasped. Of course he knows about me and Elsa. I mean, why not?

"Don't even say that. I have never seen Jack so white as the second he announced her pregnancy and he thought it was my child. Really, I thought he was gonna have a stroke." - I recount the moment as it plays in my mind, seeing Jack's face pale as a ghost at the thought of the scandal.

Mom, dad and Sarah all were shook about it.

"I can imagine, son. It's not a scandal to be taken lightly. The Elder Council could ask for your head as Luna. Even before you ascend." - Dad said and I gasped. Even Sarah was baffled.

"Oh my Goddess! What? I can be impeached from being Luna? What the actual hell!" - I was utterly shocked.

"It's not impeachment if you never executed the job. But yes, they could call for the Beta's mate to be the pack Luna. It never happened before, obviously. But it can. If they feel you don't have the moral fiber for it. You already have one strike against you being male." - Dad elaborated, making me shake on my seat.

"It's not my fault being male and getting mated to the Alpha. I didn't ask for any of this." - I defended myself, sounding annoyed.

"I know, son. I'm not blaming you. I'm just saying. Be glad it's not your baby. I wouldn't mind a grandchild, but I would never impose on a girl to have it or not. Specially an unmated one. Her mate can reject her over this. And she probably knows that, as I've told my Sarah once upon a time. I mean, I had to." - Dad said, making Sarah scowl.

"Yeah... It's harder for girls as it always is. I'm not mating a virgin out of choice, more out of fear." - Sarah admitted, painfully.

No wonder she held out on Jack. Now I get why she didn't take it all the way with him. Though it certainly makes things less awkward for us. Not much, but not as bad as it could be.

"I'm sorry, Sarah. I never quite understood your plight. But from Elsa's fear when she was with me, I can tell this is really bad." - I shot her an apologetic glance.

She smiled at me in return.

"That poor girl. I'll try to book a visit as Luna but I can't make them receive me. Like your dad said, it's a private thing not a pack matter." - Mom told us, feeling bad for Elsa.

"But you can't let Beta Davis fire Mr. Westbrook, dad. It's not fair." - I told him in a firm tone.

"He's not firing the under Delta over this, son. It was a heat of the moment discussion." - Dad downplayed it.

"I hope so because if he loses his job, specially as big as this one, he's gonna lash out on Jay." - I blurted in a concerned tone. I'm not implying Mr. Westbrook is gonna hit him, but there are plenty of ways to hurt someone other than physically. Specially from a parent.

"I will monitor the situation, don't worry. I will not interfere but I'm not letting him fire Westbrook over this. It's childish and unbecoming of a Beta." - Dad assured me.