Chapter 14: Falling

Tyler

There are no words to explain precisely what happened to me.

It's a strange phenomenon. Yesterday morning, as soon as Jack locked eyes with me, my wolf went haywire, howling inside my chest like never before. It's weird to feel the mate bond literally being ignited within myself, compelling me to reply to him: MATE.

It's undeniable. Inexcusable. Unstoppable. A force like I've never felt before awakened inside me to pull us together, changing every fiber of my being to alter how I perceive him. I never felt so connected to my wolf as I did yesterday morning, it's a wonder we don't shift into wolves when we get mated.

Because I felt like I could shift at any moment, especially if I didn't take some time to inhale his scent. It's absolutely the most wonderful scent in the world to me, I could never have enough of that. Of HIM.

It's everything just as phenomenal as advertised by my parents when they told me about it growing up. And I could never have anticipated how floored I'd be discovering my mate.

Now, I have a mate.

Not only that but my mate is a man. The Alpha, which makes me the Luna. Not Beta, not Delta, not even a warrior. The Luna.

My entire family is shocked with the turn of events. No one expected this to happen - and certainly neither did I. But the surprise of the century is that my dad not once jabbed at me over this.

He didn't tease me, belittle me or my masculinity in any way, shape or form. He congratulated me on becoming Luna. That's it.

So did my mom, but she's a remarkable woman. No surprise there. Sarah kept to herself, but I get it. She thought she was going to be Luna. I would be surprised if she was accepting of this. But she never criticized me either.

"Are you okay, son?" - Dad asked me while we're eating breakfast the next day.

"Not particularly. But I will be eventually." - I replied to him in a slightly worried tone. Mom felt bad for me as she saw my concerned face.

"Did you talk to your mate yesterday?" - Dad asked and I felt the whiplash at the word directed at me. So did Sarah, who got wide-eyed at this.

"I did a little. He's just worried about the repercussions this is going to have on our life and the pack from now on." - I replied to him, honestly. My tone was troubled.

"I see. Just know that I'm here for you always. For both of my children." - He said with a warm smile that hugged my heart.

"Thanks, dad." - I smiled back at him. So did Sarah.

After I lost on Alpha, there was a part of me that wondered if I had lost my dad as well. I know I may be exaggerating a little, but Goddess only knows the amount of pressure I was under to secure that position.

And once I lost it, a good part of me thought my father would never look at me the same way again. And certainly not the way he looked at me before, which is why I was so worried about disappointing him after we got that e-mail from the Elder Council.

I was so crushed. Because as much as it killed me to face the entire school that day, it's nothing compared to what I felt about facing my own dad and his set of expectations for me. But in a twist of fate, he never belittle me over it.

In fact, he ignored the issue altogether, only speaking about the Beta position which was still within my grasp. WAS being the operative word. But my point is: he is there, he is present. He never withdrew his parental love and now with this surprise, his reaction charges my soul with enough love to face anyone, if I'm being honest.