Chapter 12: I Don't Want To Talk About It

Tyler

It is what it is. I have lost. Life goes on.

I mean, it has to. Am I right?

I've cried about it. I've been sad, suffered over it. I've beaten myself up about it plenty. But enough is enough.

I lost the battle, not the war.

I still can be Beta. That's what my dad is hanging on to. And so am I. There's always hope until Jack announces otherwise.

To be honest, deep down, I knew my chances were always slim against Jack. I mean, he is a Stonehold and this is the Stonehold pack, to put it plainly as my sister did.

So yeah, it was always a long shot truthfully. But it's fine. He's the legacy. It would be far worse for him to lose on Alpha that it is for me, I gotta admit it.

No one really expected ME to become Alpha aside from my dad. And even then, his expectations were always somewhat unrealistic - just like Sarah said (my sister is really wise). It's not like we didn't know Jack was alive and wouldn't return. Of course, he would. It's his goddamn legacy. His birth right, as much as it pains me to admit it.

"Are you okay, Ty?" - Mom asked me, snapping me out of my thoughts. We're eating dinner at the pack house on a Tuesday night. I have been training as a Beta candidate for a week now. And every day I go with Jack to the center after he finishes up with my dad.

It's a drag that I have to wait around for him. I could just go earlier and train alone, but it turns out the Delta of the pack has other things to do than train us and his only available time is spent with the actual future Alpha. Go figure...🤭

I mean, the guy does lead a small army of more than 100 warriors. So, you know, it is what it is.

"Yeah, mom. I'm fine. I just wish I could train alone and not have to wait for Jack every single day." - I blurted with a low growl of discontentment.

"You should be counting yourself lucky to be able to train with Delta Jones at all! And the only reason he still does it's because you're the son of the Alpha. He's under no obligation to train you. You should be training with Beta Davis, if ever." - Dad jabbed at me. Ouch. I felt that in my bones. He doesn't make it easy for me, does he?

"I know, dad. I do count my blessings. And I should train with the Beta soon. I just don't want to get my hopes up, only for Jack to announce another person for the position." - I replied with a sadness that is palpable.

Sarah gives me a poignant look but doesn't say anything. She doesn't wanna put herself in the middle of this with her dating Jack. And I'd never ask her to. Or would want that in any way.

The next day at school, things are normal again. It's been a week, so people forgot about me. Now, they have their precious Alpha.

For once, I'm glad to be rid of the glares. Who knew I'd ever be okay with being just another common student. A nobody in the sea of teen werewolves. OK, I'm not exactly a nobody. I'm still the son of the Alpha. But it's sure better than having everyone hate you.

My friend group has stopped giving me pity stares that they did ever since we got that fateful e-mail from the Elder Council. It's been a tough week, no doubt. But I'm glad to put it behind me. For good.

I'm only 17 years old. My life is fully ahead of me. Bring it on.

"Ty, are you okay training with Jack now that you're no longer..." - Jason trailed off asking me during lunch later the day.

"Yes, I'm fine. I have to train regardless of that if I wanna become Beta." - I replied, trying to refrain from letting my mood drop.

"Are you gonna be Beta? Did he tell you that?" - He asked curiously, sounding excited.