Chapter 17: Fantasmas [Ghosts]

Jack

Jack

Today I'm going to reenter the house that last time I went to my parents were alive.

It's been almost 8 years since I've been to my family home. I only know that it's been cleaned and locked away for me to return one day.

It's one of the several properties that I inherited from my dad. One that I almost wish that I didn't. Where my parents died brutally alongside my only sister.

I said almost.

It's also the place where I lived my entire childhood, where my mom got pregnant with Lilly, where she brought Lilly when she returned from the hospital. And where my dad told me that one day I would become the next Alpha of the Stonehold pack. Even though I didn't know what that meant exactly at the time.

Technically, I still don't. That's the point of the internship with Mr. Burke. And probably why I don't ascend until several months from now. But I'm not in any hurry. I'm secured as Alpha and that's all I ever wanted. For now anyway.

When I get downstairs on Saturday morning, my family already knows what I'm going to do and where I'm going. I had told them earlier this week and they're all giving me this 'looks' during breakfast.

Like somehow I'm gonna break down or unravel or fall ill. I raise my eyebrow in question.

"You can all stop looking at me like I'm gonna fall apart. It's just a house and I'm not going there alone." - I said staring at them in annoyance.

Tony put his hand over my free one and stared at me.

"If you need anything, I'm here for you. Even if it's to trash your mate or whatever." - He told me with an empathetic tone.

"Why would I trash my own mate? He's been nothing but nice to me this whole time." - I pulled his hand away and I glared at him.

"What Tony meant was we're all here for you. And if you need, just call us and we'll be there." - Gus said, looking deep into my eyes.

"Thanks guys. I won't, but in any case, you're my first call should I need it." - I reassured them with a knowing glance and smile.

I get why they're worried about me. It's a big deal to return to that house after nearly 8 years. I'm not going there blindly, but either I face my fears or I sell the house. And I'm not under any circumstances selling that house.

Not a chance.

I climbed into my car parked outside the house, waved the Gutierrez family off and drove towards the compound. I passed the gate and stopped at the front of the pack house. I get off the car and rang the bell, but Tyler is already at the living room ready for me. He greets me and walks out of the house.

A few minutes later, I'm in front of my parents' house. It looks exactly the same as I remember from outside. But that I had already seen it before. The though part is to enter it. I take out the key my granddad gave me [he was the custodian of the property until now] and open the door.