CHAPTER 39

The Count Down

Ezra

2017

Time seemingly flew by, as I watched the clock tick away. I pulled out pictures of a few old coins and placed them in front of Kenya. A picture of David with a very rustic, old looking coin stained with blood was the fifth and last picture I laid on the table. Kenya's face filled up with confusion as she looked at the bloody coin. "I don't understand how is this going to help me get off," she said. During David's autopsy this coin was found lodged in his throat.

"Have you ever seen this coin before?" I asked her. She folded her arms as they rested on her round belly, leaned back in her chair, raised her eyebrow, and simply said, "No."

"Ok," I said. "Well, this particular coin is very rare, it only had 1,000 made at the time of creation. Now we have narrowed it down to how many were sold in the U.S. and we have narrowed it down to a few collectors. We're working on finding that individual now but we don't have to prove who did it; all we have to do is prove you didn't. Reasonable doubt, Ms. Winters, reasonable doubt," I said as I smiled, hoping the vibe I was giving would send a signal to Kenya and would put her at ease but nothing I said seemed to convince her. She sat stone faced and unmoved by all the evidence I placed before her.

I placed my hand on Kenya's hand to comfort her, no soon in utter resistance she pulled back and said, "Why are you helping me now?"

"Is it because you're still in love with her," she asked.

Knowing full well who "her" was, I decided to play like I was oblivious and said, "Who are you speaking of, Ms. Winters? I am in love with my wife," I said

Unconvinced, she batted her eyelashes and sat forward.

"No you're not, you're still very much in love with my sister," she said. "I saw how you looked at her in the courtroom. I know what that look is."

"I think you're confused Ms. Winters," I said

"I'm not the one confused; besides, why else would you be here helping her wayward sister instead of enjoying your honeymoon with your wife?" She argued as if I was the one on trial. Trying hard to deny the allegations made and trying not to upset her, I said, "I will always love your sister but not like you think, so please don't confuse my feelings for her as your reason not to let me help you," I said.

A devious smile filled her face as she shook her head and said, "How can I trust you if you are still lying to me?"

"What are you talking about Kenya?" I said as I started to allow her tactics to undermine me a little. "Let's just focus on your defense," I said. The room went silent and she sat there with those piercing brown eyes staring at me, trying to coerce a confession of some sort from me. After about three minutes of dead silence, I began to pack up my belongings. I was through playing her game. As I closed my briefcase and headed towards the metal door, she somberly said, "You know I always hated my sister..."

"From the time she was born I hated her. She could do no wrong in my dad's eyesight, she was his baby girl," Kenya said as her eyes began to fill up with tears. "Turns out, she was his only girl because my mother was such a whore, I don't know who my real dad is and I blamed Danielle for it. It was her fault she made the best man I know leave me and I hated her. I carried that hate around in my heart for many years, plotting the day that I would make her feel the same pain I felt. The hatred grew and grew and I no longer wanted to just make her feel my pain, I wanted to destroy her existence," she said.

I cut her off in the middle of her confession and said, "I'm sorry you felt that way about Danielle but I know for a fact that your sister loved you very much. She cried many nights to me about ya'll relationship and the things you did to her," I said. "Seriously, why do you think I am here Kenya?"