CHAPTER 34

The Needy vs The Greedy

Danielle

Being away for a while was just what I needed to redirect my negative energy into positive. We had a layover in Houston and I was in the mood for some good ol' BBQ. Pam and I roamed the airport in search for the sweet aroma of the mesquite, wood burning flavor. At last, we found it, The Texan Pit Grill. My eyes began to water at the sight of all the delicious smoked BBQ hanging up on the wall above the register. It's so many to choose, I thought as my stomach began to sound like the rumble of an old engine. I had no time for my indecisiveness to kick in, I wanted some food and I wanted it now. So I did what any rational person would do in my position: I ordered everything on the left side of the menu, not excluding the mac & cheese. I looked at my watch to see how much time we had to eat before it was time to board our next flight. And it hit me, it was an hour past Ezra's wedding. The more I waddled in self-pity, the hungrier I got.

"Pam what you getting?" I asked.

"What am I getting," she replied as if she was flabbergasted by my question.

"Please tell me, you are not going to eat all of that food alone. It's enough to feed a small African village," she said.

She grabbed my hand and pulled me out the line.

"Sir, please don't place that order, she is having a nervous breakdown," she whispered as she placed her hand on my forehead to check my body temperature.

"You're not hot," she said.

"I am fine Pam," I said as I broke free from her tight grip.

"Please place my order," I said. "I'm just a little stressed and hungry, that's it," I argued.

I watched as the young boy at the register contemplated who he should listen to as Pam stood stone faced with her arms tucked inside her jacket; she tried to stay warm from the cold air. I reached in my wallet and gave him a $50 tip, which helped him quickly make his decision. I held my head high and graciously walked to my seat. Pam's eyes rolled in her head as hard as the concrete chair she slammed her butt down on. She then crossed her legs, swinging it back and forth. It wasn't hard for me to ignore her displeasing stares. The only images that danced around in my head were the shreds of pulled pork, the tender yet flavorful beef BBQ braised brisket, and the juicy baby back ribs, and my mind was on food and food alone. I refused to think of anything else until...

"Danny," called Pam. "I am not going to let you ruin your banging body over some man, granted he is Fine and super rich but Danny".

"Ezra is not just some man Pam, and I don't want to talk about him right now," I cried.

"Oh we going to talk about him," she argued, as she demanded answers.

"If you think I am going to let my best friend eat herself to death over that fine specimen of a man, I think NOT," she said. "Sure he is fine as hell," she said as I got sick of hearing how fine he was. I abruptly cut her off and said, "I get it Pam, he's fine." "As Hell," she reiterated. I rolled my eyes as she continued to further so-call cheer me up.

"So.... So what he has a lot of money, you do too...and he is very charismatic, so was Lucifer...and he smelled soooo... good and he...I forgot my point," she said as I stared at her, envisioning that I had a bright red apple that I shoved in her mouth and roasted her on the open fire.

"Yeah, like I was saying, so what he seemed to be is Mr. Right but Danny, if he was Mr. Right, would yawl have figure that out last night?" She asked.

I was completely mystified by her question just in time for my food to arrive. I was suddenly distracted by layers of BBQ.