CHAPTER 16

2016

Interrogation 4.0

I laid on the concrete floor, thinking about my options, when Kenya pleaded with me to allow her to plead guilty.

"Psst...," she whispered.

"Who would have ever thought the Winter's girls would be in jail together?" Kenya said, laughing.

"I know, dad probably rolling around in his grave, right now," I said as I laughed to keep from crying.

"I didn't kill David," I said. "I hated him, but not enough to kill him."

"Well, I hated him and had this been about eight months ago, I probably would have," she said jokingly.

"Danny, let me take the charge. It's all my fault you are here. Let me make things right," she cried.

"I am not going to let you take the fall for this, my little niece will not be born behind bars."

"She won't be, just you get out of here," she said as she yelled for Detective Brody.

I don't know why she wanted to take the fall for his murder, but she was adamant about it, convinced she would never see the inside of the jail, which made me even more curious about her surety. Brody walked in sipping on his coffee and looking well rested, unlike me.

"Did you girls come to any agreement?"

Before I could answer, Kenya said, "My sister is innocent and she wants to take back her confession."

"Is that what you want, Mrs. Blake?" Detective Brody asked. I could not open my mouth to say the words, so I just simply shook my head "yes."

"I have a few more questions for you, before you go."

"Of course you do," I said as I walked into the interrogation room.

"Captain Charles Winters is your grandfather?" Detective Brody asked.

"Yes, he is...did you know him?"

"Did I?!" He said with excitement in his tone, "He was my first captain out of the academy. He gave me the best advice; I still use it to this day. He said, 'when your gut alarm rings louder than the alarm of the evidence in front of you, go with your gut and make sure your gut and the evidence lineup, they are a team.'"

"Wow, he was such a great captain, your grandfather," he said, as if something shifted again in him. I watched as he began to reminisce about conversations he and grandpa had.

"Give me a minute", he said, "I have to check something."

He left the room for a few minutes and came back with another officer, a male this time.

"Hi, I'm Captain Harvey," he said.

"Brody explained everything to me. Out of respect for your grandfather, I need you to answer a question for me. Now I need a direct answer, I knew your grandfather personally and I don't believe his little Cookie could have done such a heinous crime. Were you having an affair on your husband?"

I thought very carefully before I answered, searching for the correct response. I poured me a cup of water and slowly drank it. I looked intensely in his eyes and responded,

"No!"

Although that was not a complete true statement, I refused to give them any further reason to believe I killed David. He dropped his head and said, "I was looking for a different response, Mrs. Blake. Take a look at these photos of you and this unidentified man, in what appears to be a hotel room. It's dated January 1, 2016, two months before your divorce was final. Now, I am going to ask you again, where you having an affair on your husband and how long were you seeing this man before your husband found out?"

I sat there completely baffled by all the intimate photos of Ezra and I. How could they possibly have had those photos? Hundreds of thoughts flooded my head as many unanswered questions filled my mind. I stared at the captain and he stared back at me with a look of empathy and compassion on his face, as if he'd hoped I was not responsible for killing my husband. Drinking my water as slow as possible, I tried to buy some time as I figured out a way to tell the captain about Ezra without further implicating myself for murder.

"As I stated before, those pictures are a fake. I haven't seen him in years, so there is no way that that's us. That picture was apparently created to frame me."

"Why would someone go through all the trouble of framing you, Mrs. Blake?"

"I don't know, maybe if you find the person responsible for framing me, you just may find David's killer," I said.

As I searched through all those photos, they seemed very real. If it wasn't me, I would believe them to be real. That room looked really familiar, that bed spread..."Wait!" I shouted.

It hit me like a ton of bricks. "This isn't Ezra and I. This is David and I, see the tattoo that is David's. Check his body, you will see. Ezra does not have a tattoo."

Curious still, I asked, "But why did they change his face?"

"So are you saying three months before your divorce was final, you and your husband had an affair?"

"Exactly," I said. I was completely relieved and yet Brody still seemed suspicious of me.

"Listen, just for the sake of eliminating all the possibilities, tell me who the guy in this picture is," he said as he pointed to Ezra.

"Okay fine," I said, "his name is Ezra North and what happened between us is far more complicated than I have time to explain," I said.

"Look around, Mrs. Blake, you have nothing but time," Detective Brody said while looking through all the photos of Ezra and I, turning them around, trying to get a better angle. I watched him search through image after image, still not convinced of its authenticity, commenting one after another, trying to evoke a response from me. I abruptly closed the folder and shouted "FINE, I will tell you everything. But I must start from the beginning."