CHAPTER 13

Reality check

Danielle

2015

I just arrived back home from a very exhausting business trip. Trying to obtain new business was starting to weigh heavy on me. It started to feel as if I was back at square one. Losing the Mull contract couldn't have happened at a worse time for me. They made up 35% of my revenue; they were my dad's first client. I had been trying my best to get their business back but to no avail. I tried to convince myself that David was not the cause of me losing that account, but after what he pulled at the Gala, I knew Mr. Mull would pull his business from me for sure. I just didn't think he would take Rodgers and Burns with him.

Since that day, my life no longer appeared to be my own. It was official: I no longer had control over my life. The crazy part of it all was that the signs were present even before the first time he forcefully struck me. He wanted to control everything. First, I thought it was cute that he wanted to pick all the restaurants, even when he would help me pick out my clothes to wear for work, or more like tell me what not to wear. He even suggested how I should fix my hair. I loved how interested he was in me. Just as much as I loved it in the beginning, the more possessive he got, the more I began to hate it.

Today was not like an ordinary day: I was meeting with the top builder in the country and this could have meant a multi-million dollar venture. I was so excited to learn they wanted to use my title company to underwrite the deal. David was up early as usual and out for his 6 a.m. run. He was training for the marathon. Moments after I stepped out the shower, I wiped the steam off the mirror, revealing the truth behind my heavy painted eye make-up. After the fight David and I had last night, I cried myself to sleep and never had the chance to remove my makeup. I stared at the broken image of the woman staring back at me and began to weep. David walked in the bathroom, I quickly wiped my tears and tried to pull myself together. He grabbed my cheek, moving my head left and right as he examined my bruised eye and cheek.

"Damn baby, I'm sorry Danny. You know how I get when I drink," he said, as he kissed my forehead.

A fearful silence pierced the room as he turned the hot water back on in the shower. Steam filled the room as he kissed my neck. I stood there in disgust and frozen in fear of his reaction to my true emotions. As he kissed my damp neck, I looked around the room, trying to distract myself from the emotional disdain I felt for him. I naturally resisted him as he pulled me into the shower and continued to kiss me all over. I closed my eyes and searched my mind for the happiest moment in my life. Only to see visions of Ezra's face as he kissed my pregnant belly, moments before I began to feel a sharp pain in my abdomen. I quickly snapped out of that moment, back to the reality of David's face as he reached his moment of climax. I felt nothing but pain, while numbness coursed through my soul. My heart, once filled with love and admiration, now was filled with pain and despair. I laid on the cold shower floor and wept some more.

Moments passed and I was able to pull myself up from the floor. Not to my surprise, David laid out a completely new outfit on the bed than I previously picked out before my first shower. I had my off-white turtleneck dress and my sky blue and off-white blazer picked out, only to be replaced by a pair of black slacks and a red sweater with a black blazer. He even picked out my shoes. I quickly got dressed, grabbed my briefcase, and attempted to dash out the front door, trying to avoid David. The loud sound of ice blending nearly helped me escape unnoticed.

"Babe, come taste," he said as I grabbed the door knob.

He poured me a glass of some mint green concoction. He had spinach leaves, green apples, kiwi, and banana peels scattered around the countertop.

"I think this is the best one yet," he said as he boastfully drank his smoothie. "Drink up babe" he urged me.

"I really have to go David," I said trying not to drink whatever was in the glass. I finally gave into his demands and to my surprise, it was actually tasty. He slapped me on my butt and kissed my cheek.