CHAPTER 4

Birthday Bash

2013

Time seemed to have flown by since I walked away from the church. Ducking and dodging a few members of the church, I started to feel like I was on the run from the law. I couldn't even go into my favorite Sunday Jamaican restaurant without bumping into Mother Jones and the old lady gang. She was the worst of them all with her judgmental stares and her hypocritical "Ummm... Hmmm..." she would moan, gossiping about me while I stood in line, feeling like I was branded with the scarlet letter about my chest. I grabbed my oxtail and scurried past them, hoping no one would say a word to me. Just when I thought I had made my great escape, Mother Jones called my name. I stopped dead in my tracks and started to pray before I turned towards the judgment seat.

"Hi, Mother Jones," I said. "How are you?" I asked, as if I cared.

"Blessed and highly favored," she said. "Sure haven't seen you much around the church lately. You look healthy; your legs look fine to me,. You walked by us so fast, I thought you were running, didn't she Jean," she asked the other old lady sitting at the round table, filled with an assortment of Caribbean food.

"Her legs look fine to me too," she said, implying the only reason I should miss church is if I could no longer walk.

"Yes, my legs are just fine," I said.

"They sure are," said the smiling old deacon, as he appeared delighted while looking me up and down from head to toe. Thinking of my exit strategy, I pulled my phone out my coat pocket, "I'm sorry, I have to take this," I said, pretending my phone had rang.

"I didn't hear a phone ring, did you Jean?" Mother Jones asked. "No I did not," said the cranky old missionary. I held my phone to my face, "Oh, my birthday party yes, it's tonight," I said, raising my church finger to excuse myself. "Did you hear that Jean? She said a party on a Sunday--the Lord's Day, shame on you!" Trying to escape her bitter judgment, I rushed out the restaurant door.

It was my 25th birthday and my best friend Pam decided to surprise me and threw me the best birthday bash ever. It was at a new club downtown, The Haven. She rented out the entire club for the night. We drank champagne all night, popping bottles left and right. I usually didn't drink. I wore my designated driver badge proudly, but as my girl Pam said, "It's your 25th, you rich, and just sold your first commercial property. It's time to get turnt up", and we did just that!

"Let's get this party started up in here." She cheered as the crowd went crazy.

Pam and I were standing at the bar when this fine, tall, muscular, chocolate man stood beside me and leaned over the counter. He uttered something to the bartender; the music was so loud, I couldn't make out what he was saying as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a stack of 100 dollar bills. I totally understood that language, I thought. He smelled so good; the scent of his cologne reminded me of my favorite, Issey Miyake.

I tried my best to ignore the voices screaming on the inside of me, trying to warn me of the potential danger I would get into falling for this type of man. Just as I grabbed my Appletini in an attempt to escape, he leaned towards me and whispered in my ear, "Happy Birthday, beautiful." I instantly felt my purse getting moist and the urge to make an impulsive deposit grew even stronger when I turned and saw his smile. He had the whitest teeth and milkiest chocolate skin. It ain't nothing like a chocolate brother with pearly white teeth and those lips ooh, Yes...

"Give the lady another round of whatever she is drinking," he said.

"How do you know it is my birthday?" I asked. He pointed to my tiara.

"Oh", I said feeling like a complete idiot. Before I could utter a word of thanks, this drunken man came staggering in between us, smelling like a bottle of cheap vodka. His face and shirt reeked of the alcohol the pissed-looking girl threw on him; she stood across the room and appeared to be telling her encounter with him to the two very muscular men, pointing in our direction. Their faces increasingly grew in anger as they began to walk towards us.

"Hey D, it's time to bounce," the drunk said. "I'm not ready yet, I haven't even gotten the birthday girl's name," he said as he smiled at me, not noticing the sudden approach of the girl and her two gorillas.

"D, let's go," he urged!

The mystery man stood up and turned towards the two gorilla-looking bouncers, and the very pissed half naked girl gave a swift head nod and smile. The bartender passed her a drink and to my surprise, the crisis was averted. I mean he didn't say one word. He just smiled. I was completely turned on at this point. Who is this man? "Kelly," yelled the mystery man as he shouted across the bar and this guy came rushing over, "take lil man home make sure he cool."

I nudged Pam with my elbow, trying to get her attention, but she was so engaged in conversation with some random guy on the other side of the bar that she didn't see the mystery man. Pam turned and reached her hand in front of me, "I'm Pam," she said, "and the birthday girl is my best friend, Danielle."

"It's nice to make your acquaintance, I'm David," he said, as he shook Pam's hand. I was so infatuated with his light brown eyes and images of him making his huge deposit into my purse, that I no longer heard the loud music and all I wanted to do was David.

"Will you save a dance for me," he asked?

Reluctant to sound desperate, I said, "I don't dance."

"Sure you do, I have been watching you all night," he said. "I watched you turn down every guy that stepped to you."

So excited to hear he was checking me out all night, I asked, "All night?" In my school girl voice.

"Who do you have your eye on?" David asked, as he stared at me with the look of hope in his eyes. I leaned over to him and whispered in his ear, "You!"

"Let's grab a bite to eat," he said, "we can go to one of those after-hour joints."

I eagerly said, "Yes!"

We went to BJ's Diners and talked all night. I was amazed by how much we had in common. It was as if he had my checklist in his pocket and was going down the list checking off each item one by one. Wants children, check, have a college degree check, takes care of his elderly grandmother, not on my list but adorable. He loves the Lord, check... check... check...

We wasted no time getting to know each other. I enjoyed having a man in my life, which made seeing him daily no problem for me. However, as my personal life turned into a dream come true, professionally, my life became a living nightmare.