CHAPTER 17

Perfect day

2006

After Pearl got out of rehab for the fifth time, she came to live with grandpa and me for a while, while dad was away. My grandpa was able to get her a new job working as a housekeeper at the Old Milton Estate.

Running late for work seemed to be the norm for Pearl but this particular day, she wanted to be on time. As I impatiently waited for the bus to arrive, Ezra and Bridgette rode by. As he drove by, he waved in my direction. I stood there in complete obliviousness, looking around to see who he was waving towards. Suddenly, his brake lights flashed on and he began to back up towards me.

"Hey get in," he said as I stood there in utter amazement.

"Come on, I will take you," he said.

"Take her where?" A very irritated Bridgette asked.

"No way is she riding with us," she continued to voice her disdain for me.

"No, I am okay. The bus should be arriving any minute now, thanks anyway," I said.

Jokingly, he said, "Are you sure," as he began to smile, acting like he was going to leave by removing his foot from the brake and inching forward just a bit. I tried hard to resist the smile that clearly broke through my face as I looked at Bridgette's face full of rage.

"You'd rather stand next to the strange smelly old dude than ride with me, awe...crushed," he said, as he placed his hand over his heart.

"Ah NO, Ezra you gotta be kidding me right," said a very pissed Bridgette.

At that point, there was no need to resist the feeling that was overwhelming me. I could see the bus arriving and I felt it was my civic duty to piss Brigitt off so I smiled and said, "Sure," as I hopped in the back of his gorgeous convertible yellow and black Mustang. She made it very clear that she was bothered by Ezra's kindness he showed me. The entire ride to school, she laid her head on his shoulder and then would casually play with the back of his hair. I was on cloud nine, I completed ignored all of her gestures and enjoyed the crisp morning air that flowed through my braided hair. Almost slipped away into my head of imagining our wedding date, I looked up and saw Ezra's eyes piercing my soul through the rear view mirror. Our eyes connected for what felt like a lifetime. My heart began to pound louder and louder and I felt as if he had reached into my soul and connected his with mine. I no longer felt alone, all I felt was pure bliss. He smiled and Bridgette saw him smile at me; she turned towards me and I abruptly turned my head, looked out the car window, and smiled with my heart for the first time.

We finally arrived to school. He let his seat down, as he took my hand and helped me climb out the car. I didn't want to let it go.

"Thank you very much," I said as he handed me my book bag and our hands slightly grazed one another, as my insides screamed out, "YES!"... "Thanks again," I said.

"Any time," he said as he winked at me. I walked over to my friend Pam and told her every sordid detail. I looked back and saw that Bridget slapped him clear across his face and all of her little minions came rushing over to her rescue. I honestly could say I felt bad that he got slapped but not that he got dumped. Because he was a free agent and I was ready to sign him.

Sitting in chemistry class was very weird, and not like the usual weird when Jeffrey Colt would bring in some unknown specimens for us to dissect. He was a genius and he let everyone know it, including Mr. Benson, our chem. teacher. Mr. Benson would allow him full reign in class, I believe because he knew he was smarter. I always believed it was because he was smarter than him.

No, this weird was the stares and whispers from all the catty girls in the class. Bridgette's minion Charlotte passed me this note along with the stare of death attached to it.