CHAPTER 36

Prayer

2017

The most radiant light burst through my glass bedroom doors, as the sounds of the rogue ocean waves hit the seashore. The crisp air blew open the sheer window curtain while a gang of multicolored leaves rode the open air waves. I lay peaceably in my warm bed staring at the angelic sculpture hand carved in my ceiling. Deep breathes filled my chest as I laid still in disbelief of how my life no longer seemed so strenuous. I was blessed, truly blessed, God restored everything I lost, everything. I thought as the thoughts of the past few months brought a huge smile on my face. I grabbed my pen and journal in my nightstand and began to write.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you for your many blessings. I am so grateful for it all, I don't know where to begin. Angela and the kids have finally moved into the condo, and her husband is in jail where he belongs. Love gives me the strength to deal with the next few days to come. As Kenya's trial nears, it feels like the walls are closing in on us. I pray the judge will have mercy on her and the jury will find her innocent of all charges. Lord I don't know why David had to die but I know he didn't die at the hands of my sister. Please Jesus help us. Amen.

With a heavy heart, I closed my book and returned my journal to my nightstand as the doorbell rang. I hurried to put on my robe as the uninvited guest impatiently rang my bell. I rushed down my spiral stairs, nearly losing my footing. I opened the door and to my surprise, there was Sky standing there with a huge smile on her face while Ezra was unloading her luggage from the truck.

"Hi sweetheart," I said with much excitement and joy in my voice.

"Did you miss me?" She said as she wrapped her arms around me.

"Of course I did, I thought you guys were coming next week," I said.

"I know, dad changed his mind. Where's my room?" She grabbed her duffle bag and raced through the house, I stood at the door waiting for Ezra to bring in the rest of her bags. Trying my best to act unaffected by watching him unload the bags, our eyes connected as he gave me a simple wave and the most affectionate smile. My heart melted at the sight of his perfectly aligned white teeth. Before I could begin to fantasize about the last kiss we shared, out stepped a narrow six inch canary heel from the passenger side door. I can't believe he brought her to my house.

"Don't worry, she won't last long...dad still doesn't know," Sky said as Ezra came staggering up the stairs carrying tons of luggage. Sky grabbed the small bag from his mouth as he struggled to speak.

"Thank you," he said, relieved by my help. "Nice to see you again," I said as Vanessa nearly shoved her diamond wedding ring my face.

They stayed for literally ten minutes before her complaints could be heard miles away. As requested, I had Ezra drop off a big blue boxful of papers pertaining to Kenya's case for us to go over before her trial.

Sky and I been out all day shopping and enjoying one another's company. We finally decided to call it a day as we left the mall. I spent nearly ten minutes trying to locate my car. Suddenly, my phone rang and it was Ezra. He wanted to stop over to discuss the case before court tomorrow. I was all too delighted to spend a little more time going over the case. He arrived at my home around 9:30 p.m. to my surprise. I thought he forgot about all about coming over.

Sky and I just finished dinner as the doorbell rang. "It's daddy," she said as she smiled and opened the door.

"Hey daddy," she said as she greeted him.

"Goodnight Sky," I said as I closed the door behind him.

"Goodnight," she said, kissing us both on the cheek.

We spent many hours going over the details of the case. Ezra finally fell asleep as the sun came up. I tapped him, waking him, holding his cell phone in my hand as Vanessa called.

"Oh snap," he said as he grabbed his phone and hit ignore. "I'll deal with her later, I have to go and change for court in an hour," he said. "Thank you for all your help," he said as he kissed me on my forehead.