35

breaking news
new jersey devils star, jack hughes, spotted in michigan with esmeray miller. are they dating? or are they just friends? updates to come.

"we haven't even been here for a full day and there's people already writing news articles about us." esmeray said, showing jack her phone.

the two were in his bedroom talking. quinn and luke hadn't come back yet, and ellen had to run a few errands with jim, so it was just them.

"maybe it's time we come out and tell people." jack suggested.

"and risk losing our jobs?" esmeray questioned.

"we wont loose our jobs es. being in a relationship with people is a normal thing." jack said.

"you wont loose your job but i could. you're not supposed to date people you work with." esmeray argued.

"but we don't work together. i play hockey and you help us get better. you're technically not working for me." jack defended.

"jack, that's not how it works. i work for the devils, as do you. plus i don't feel comfortable being exclusive, not yet." esmeray admitted.

jack understood. if esmeray wasn't ready, he wasn't going to push it.

"i get it. i understand. we will be secret." jack put his finger to his lips, making esmeray smile.

esmeray rolled her eyes, "i hate you."

"no you don't." jack smirked. there was a knock on the door and jack went to go open it.

"luke's here. just wanted to tell you." jim said. jack nodded his head and motioned for esmeray to follow behind him.

jack hugged his younger brother when he got down the stairs. esmeray could tell jack was happy to see his younger brother, and she could tell that he was smiling big.

"and you are the famous esmeray." luke smiled.

"luke." esmeray chuckled nervously. the two hugged and luke noticed her tense up. he was confused but he didn't question it. something to ask jack later tonight.

"okay, can i ask if you're really dating? you haven't told anyone." luke asked. jack looked at esmeray, her looking back at him. both smiled and luke already knew the answer.

"yes! i knew it." luke clapped his hands, making esmeray jump slightly. jack placed a hand on her back, wanting her to know it's okay to relax.

"sorry." luke apologized.

"it's okay." esmeray smiled.

"oh, mom said that quinn is almost home so she wants us to come down." luke reminded himself and the couple.

"we'll be down in a few minutes. i have to show esmeray something." jack said. he pulled esmeray into his room and opened his window.

"every night when everyone was asleep i would come out here and just look at the stars. they are amazing here in michigan." jack told her.

he went through his window and sat on the roof, holding his hand out of esmeray.

"are you sure that's safe?" esmeray questioned.

"im still here aren't i?" jack smiled. esmeray reluctantly took his hand and climbed out the window to admire the sun that was setting in the distance.

jack noticed a car pull into the driveway and he smiled.

"quinns home." he whispered. he let esmeray inside first and he climbed in, shutting the window behind him.

esmeray followed behind jack downstairs to where quinn was with ellen and jim, as well as luke.

"i've missed my oldest." ellen gushed, a big smile on her face.

"she missed me the most." luke smirked.

"i see you all the time," ellen shushed him, "i missed my two others the most."

luke was left with his mouth wide open, his two older brothers laughing their heads off.

"esmeray?" quinn asked. she nodded her head and smiled. he pulled her in for a hug, noticing her tense up just a smidge.

"it's nice to finally meet you. jack never stops talking about you." quinn said. jack turned red as esmeray looked over.

"that's...good to know?" esmeray asked awkwardly.

"well!" ellen clapped her hands and smiled.

"i'd like to take esmeray out for an hour or two if you're okay with that. you three can catch up." ellen said.

jack liked at esmeray who was looking at him.

"yeah, that sounds nice." esmeray replied.

"great. let me get a few things and i'll meet you at the front door in about ten?" ellen asked.

"sounds perfect." esmeray answered.