Ch. 4 - The Journey Begins... Or Does It?

A/N Heyyy guys! It's chapter 4, day! I'm ecstatic, Driftaway Lane has reached 100 reads! I know to some of you that's like, nothing... but to me its a huge deal. Thank you!!!

Stay strong, I love you all! <3

~Reannaaa;)

------------------------

Dressed, packed and ready to go, I slide open the door leading outside and whistle. Rocco immediately bounds over to me and is by my side in a matter of seconds

"Come on buddy, we're going on an adventure." I say to him. I attach his lead to the collar around his neck and walk back inside. I stop at the shoe cubby and stuff as many pairs into my bag as I can. Grabbing my bag, I make my way towards the front door. Taking one last glance over my shoulder, I mentally say my final goodbyes to the house.

I step outside, Rocco's lead in one hand, bag in the other. I close the door behind me before making my way down the verandah steps.

This is it. This is really it. 

--------------------------

Walking along the street, I instantly notice an eerie silence. It's unnatural. It's uncomfortable. Something is wrong, and not just around my home. I almost feel like there's someone watching me, but I can't be sure. I know in my mind that I should keep strong and soldier on, but my heart just wants me to scream and cry out.

Why haven't I cried yet? I lost both my parents in the space of an hour, and all I have left is my dog. I had to leave all my belongings behind. All my relatives, all my friends. I can't even call the police. But I'm not even crying. Why is that? I must be demented or something.

After walking to the top of my street, I realise I have no idea where I'm actually going. I grab my portable GPS, and reach into my bag in search for the little note with the address of my first destination.  Getting frustrated, I sit down and empty the contents of my bag onto the ground. Why can't I find it? Oh God, please don't tell me I left it at the house. I can't go back there!

Numerous minutes of searching later, I discover I have no choice but to go back to the house. Sighing deeply, I pack my bag again, spin on my heels and start trudging back to the house angrily. How could I be so stupid? I truly am an idiot sometimes.

Approaching the front of the house, I feel a slight jolt as Rocco stops in his tracks, his ears pricked and standing there without a single movement. Instantly worried, I whisper to him.

"What's the matter boy? Is something wrong?"

"Rrrrrrrrruff" he barks quietly, before letting out a whimper.

I grab his lead and tug for him to continue further, but of course he doesn't. He's acting like he's paralysed or something. I grab his collar and urge him forward more forcefully, and he finally obliges. Thank God; Rocco's so heavy and if I had to carry him I would just about die.

Staying cautious, I creep up the veranda steps and peer into the window through to the living room. The hairs on my back stand on end and my whole body shivers when I see a tall,  slender figure sitting on the armrest of the couch, speaking quietly to a woman in the armchair by the fireplace.

Holy buttnuggets, they're in there.

-------------------------

TO BE CONTINUED

_

<

_