2. Stalker (Lizzie's POV)

Start from the beginning

"Thanks." I said.

"You're welcome. You must be new. No one's ever had that locker before." she laughed. "My name's Nessie, by the way."

"Hi."

"I bet you got prank mail from my brothers already, didn't you."

"Uh, I did get a note."

"That must have been Emmett."

"Um, yes."

"He did that to me once, except he kept calling himself Jasper. I almost killed him that time!" she laughed.

"Is he going to drop more?" I asked.

"I don't think so. He's the joker of the family. He probably won't do it again. I'll tell him off later." She paused a minute, slamming her locker shut, and then turned back to me.

"I never asked you, what's your name?"

"My name's Lizzie." I said quietly.

"Oh, that's such a pretty name! I have to go. See you around, Lizzie!"  She then ran off towards a tall, dark haired guy, who had tan skin and thick muscles. She gave him a peck on the cheek, and then threw back her head, laughing at something he said.

Something clicked in my head. I recognized this guy from somewhere.

Some fuzzy memory of him tugged at my mind.

It was hazy. A sour guy sitting in a car. A fancy car. He was upset about something. He was staring at me funny. He was huge, and scary. And then I remembered that he had stolen the car. And was looking at me like I was supposed to do something for him.

It was a messed up memory, I told myself. He just looks like him. He can’t be him. That guy must have been in collage. This guy’s in high school. Maybe five years later. They just look alike.

My gut was nagging me though, telling me I was wrong.

But a twenty something year old can’t just enroll in high school. Or have a cheerleader girlfriend.

I started walking to the doors. It was a long day. By the time I woke up tomorrow, I wouldn’t even remember this. Or my mind would realize how foolish I was being.

I walked out into the crisp spring air and started hunting for my mom’s car. I didn’t have a permit yet, because I lived in the city and could just take the bus, or the train. Here, though, they didn’t have a high school bus. Something about buddying up.

So my mom was obligated to show up in her old battered Camry and pick me up. Dad couldn’t, because he was off somewhere flying planes. That was the whole reason we’d moved here, because they had an airport, although it was on the small side. My mom worked at home, as a website creator or something. Some high tech job. She wished I had inherited her love of computers, but instead I got my dad’s love of mechanics. I love cars. They’re so cool. To see an old Honda or Ford driving around is like winning world of war craft or some other silly game my mom works on.  

I wouldn’t tell mom that the car embarrassed me, though.

I hopped into the passenger seat.

“How was your day, Lizzie?”

I wasn’t going to tell her just how horrible it was.

“Fine.” I lied. I let her digest this as I tried to think of more examples.

“Well, I met a nice girl today, I think her name is Nessie. She was pretty friendly. I also met my gym teacher, who I officially hate, and got an assignment in English. I have to write an essay on some book I read last year.” That was kinda true. Except I would just print up the old essay, slightly edited, and hand that in.

“Mmm, that’s nice.” My mom said as we pulled out of the parking lot.

I could tell she was going to make this a very, very, very long night.