♡ ᴀ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ ᴍᴀʀʀɪᴀɢᴇ ♡

📌 || BEFORE YOU BEGIN READING:

as you can probably tell the title, MC here's married but things don't turn out too great. don't want to spill too much because it'll just ruin the point in reading the one shot. also wanna add that he/they pronouns will be used for MC. 

thank you to the one who requested. you rarely ever see a one shot with a change in romantic interests so this is gonna be fun

♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕

The first few years of your married life with the Avatar of Lust couldn't have been any happier. Every morning, you'd wake up to small kisses on your cheek and lips, and every night would end the same. On special occasions, you'd even get more than enough gifts from him and spend hours alone together. It was everything you could've dreamed of, and more.

But all that time you've shared with him could never make up for what tonight brings.

You arrive back home from an average grocery shopping trip with Barbatos, returning to your new house in the Human World.

Although you didn't mind living in the Devildom as a couple, the fifth born wanted a new place all to yourselves so that his brothers wouldn't be as much of a problem to either of you. You assumed it was privacy he wanted, so you willingly moved and made a fresh start.

As you step foot inside, you expect a warm greeting from your husband - a greeting involving his usual cheery grin and kiss on the forehead - but the only thing welcoming you home is silence, paired with an unfamiliar and troublesome atmosphere.

"Asmo?" you call for your beloved, looking around to see if he's even in the house. Despite being unable to catch him anywhere in your sights, you believe he's home. "I'm back. Have you eaten yet?," you raise your voice a little louder as you make your way into the kitchen to drop your groceries off, hoping he hears.

A loud clatter and thud comes from upstairs, and your attention is immediately drawn to the abrupt noise. Worrying that Asmo might've hurt himself, you rush up the flight of stairs without giving it a second thought and approach the bedroom desperately.

"Asmo! Are you ok?" you burst into the room frantically. Your gaze lands directly on your husband, who's on the floor. By the looks of it, he must've stumbled and tripped while changing as he still has yet to properly wear his pants.

He chuckles, embarrassed by his fall. "(MC), you're home early. That's a nice surprise."

You lend out a helping hand, ready to pull him up. "You only tripped a little, right? You didn't hurt yourself?" you ask, to which he shakes his head as you drag him up onto his own two feet. "How did you even fall? You're not normally this clumsy."

Asmo finishes changing as he zips up his jacket. "Oh, it was just a little accident, sweetie," he cups your face and gently leaves a kiss on your forehead. "But still, a little smooch would make it even better," he angles the side of his face towards you.

Laughing, relieved to know that he's fine, you grant him his wish and give him a light peck on the cheek. As you do, you can't help but glance past him and look behind at the state of the bedroom. Wardrobes wide open, bedsheets and quilts left a wrinkled mess, it's obvious that something urgent happened here.

"Why's the room like this?" you enquire as you begin neatening the bed. "Were you looking for something? It's a mess in here..."

Asmo starts to rub the back of his neck nervously as his eyes dart up to the ceiling then the door to avoid eye contact with you. "Haha.. Yeah, I was. I couldn't find it though, I guess it's too bad. I'm sure it'll be fine, (MC)," he wraps his arms around your waist. His embrace tightens and becomes tense, "You went grocery shopping, right? Let's go see what you bought! We can cook together if you want, I'm hungry!