~ sixty-one [bonus 10: jake] ~

TW: alcoholism

~~~~~

Bonus 10 [Jake]: La Fée Verte || 2/2

"So..." Kai sat on the couch beside Jake, their thighs pressed together despite having more than enough space to spread out. The half-empty glass bottle rested on the coffee table in front of them. "Why'd you flub the radio interview?"

"I didn't flub it, I just-"

"Pretended you couldn't play past a third-grade level?"

Jake pursed his lips. "It's a long story. Basically, uh, my dad worked in Korea while my mom, brother, and I lived in Australia. I didn't really get to see him in person that often."

He took a deep breath.

"Concerts were the one thing I had. Even though my dad was working in another country, he'd always come back to see me play. I guess the violin kind of became my only connection to him, and I... I wasn't ready to share that with the world yet."

"I get it." Kai's eyes fluttered shut as he tilted his head back against the couch. "It's nice to have a little privacy sometimes."

Jake let out a quiet sigh. His chest felt a lot lighter after saying everything he'd kept pent up for so long out loud. He decided now was a good time to bring up everything else bothering him.

"We did kiss at Jackson's party. We made out, actually. You said we could practice with each other, like how you do with other idols."

"Oh?" Kai covered his mouth, lightly laughing.

Jake's cheeks turned pink. "Sorry, uh, I didn't mean-"

"It's okay." Kai's head flopped onto the younger boy's shoulder. "I'm sorry for being harsh about the radio interview yesterday. I didn't mean to cause a fight."

"All water under the bridge now," Jake murmured. "It only lasted like an hour anyway."

He nuzzled his cheek against Kai's hair before freezing.

What are we doing?

His brain felt fuzzy and clouded: definitely not in its prime for decision making. Jake tried to sit up but found his body moving faster than his thoughts could process. In that brief moment, there was the strange sensation of disconnection, like faint echoes of himself were trailing behind each movement.

"Kai," he grinned, swaying back and forth. "Look at me."

The older boy watched him amusedly.

"What time is it?" Jake yawned, hanging an arm around Kai's neck as he slumped back into the cushions.

"Bout midnight," Kai replied, dazed.

They slowly toppled sideways, neither boy making an effort to fight gravity.

Jake stared at the ceiling with bleary eyes. "I'm tired."

Kai laughed, hugging the younger boy and kissing the back of his head. Jake snuggled closer, unsure of what they were doing but certain that he liked it and never wanted it to stop. He lazily rolled over, flopping face down on top of Kai. Their legs tangled together as a hand made its way into Jake's hair. He sighed softly, eyes fluttering shut as Kai massaged his scalp.

"It feels nice, right?" Kai whispered. "Soobin hyung used to do this for me whenever I couldn't sleep."

Jake didn't respond, instead turning his head slightly so he could kiss Kai's neck for the sole reason of it being right there. Kai giggled: a sound that made all of the butterflies in Jake's stomach flap their wings. He kissed Kai's neck again in hopes of hearing more. Each little peck made Kai squirm under him, and Jake suddenly found himself wide awake.