~ thirty-nine [bonus 8: jay] ~

TW: suicide, death

~~~~~

Bonus 8 [Jay]: Losing Game || 2/2

"Jungwon," Jay warned. "Don't stand so close to the edge."

"Ah, hyung, it's fine," Jungwon sighed, letting go of the metal railing to step closer to Jay. "You can't see the view from back here."

"Still. It's so easy to slip under the bars. I don't think this place should've passed its safety inspection."

"The railing is like two meters from the edge; I think we'll be okay."

"Everybody's always okay until they're not." Jay hooked their arms together. "One more minute, and then let's head back down to the boardwalk, yeah?"

They stared at the beach far below, watching families and kids play in the sand. There weren't many who dared to enter the water during the night, but a few surfers paddled through gentle waves, their colorful boards contrasting the dark ocean.

"What do you think is happening over there?" Jungwon turned his head, glancing at the north side of the platform deck.

A congression of college-aged students dressed in formal wear gathered around a female speaker, most likely their class president.

"High school reunion, I'm guessing."

"Can't be; they look your age. Probably graduated last year."

"Are you calling me dumb for not graduating on time?"

"No," Jungwon smiled sheepishly. "I just find it funny that the company made you guys come back to finish high school after you all dropped out."

He wiggled his eyebrows. "Careful, hyung. If you don't graduate this year, we'll be in the same grade."

Jay sighed, exasperated. "I should've taken the final tests with Taehyun. He got to skip ahead and graduate early."

"Hey guys," a girl called, crossing the deck to join them. "Don't be afraid to come closer. I know it's hard seeing the spot, but it's for a good cause."

She pulled Jay and Jungwon towards the group of students.

"What the..." Jay glanced at the girl, baffled.

"Just go with it," Jungwon whispered.

The class president cleared her throat. "I'm pleased to announce the Busan Public Health and Safety Association closed the north side of the boardwalk beach and has given us a grant to continue our work in-"

Jungwon tapped Jay's elbow. "I think it's one of those 'save the environment' clubs for their school."

"Yeah, maybe."

They listened to the speech, trying to make sense of the words pouring out of the class president's mouth.

She eventually tucked her clipboard under one arm. "Everybody, give yourselves a round of applause. It's been a tough year, but we made it."

Jay hesitantly clapped with the rest of the crowd, still extremely confused.

"What's happening?" He asked the girl who brought them there.

"I knew it; you couldn't hear a word she was saying from the other side of the deck." The girl held her hand out. "I'm Sooyoung. I don't think we had any classes together."

Jay stared at her hand, completely lost. "Classes?"

"Yeah...?" Sooyoung frowned. "Wait a second."

She stepped closer, trying to get a better look at his face through the darkness. "Wait, you're not- Are you an idol?"