Chapter 53

I couldn't process the words that came out of Seth's mouth. But regardless of what I was doing, time was still passing, and we were running out of it. I was hurried to the car as soon as we were out of class. Seth started it and took off down the road as I sat there, staring at the seat in front of me.

Grey was getting arrested. Why was Grey getting arrested. 

"Miss Winters, I need to brief you before we get there." Seth said from the front seat. I looked up, trying to pay attention to what was currently happening. 

"Can I talk to him?" My voice sounded foreign, but at least I was talking.

"no," Seth's voice was monotone. I could tell he was thinking but I needed to know what else was happening. "odds are he will be out on bail by tomorrow morning. He texted me right before they read the charges."

"Wait, what charges?" I didn't even think to ask why Grey was getting arrested until now. 

"They think he murdered Rae." 

Grey was with me all day, there is no way that he could have killed Rae. I kept trying to think back to what Dakota had said. She was literally there yesterday saying Rae was killed the day before. That was the night of our party, there was no way he would even have time to go kill someone. 

I knew he didn't do it, but my mind was working on ways to get him out of it. "What is the next few steps going to be?" I wanted to plan, get ahead on everything. If he was going to be in there until tomorrow morning, then I was going to plan the next few steps. 

We needed a lawyer, I was sure Grey already had one, but how do I get ahold of him. I knew so little.

"Once he is out on bail he is going to be talking to his lawyer and they are going to begin work on his case, they claim they found evidence in the apartment."

"When were they in our apartment?"

"While they were interrogating him at TI, they had a warrant. Apparently, someone tipped them off?"

We were pulling up to TI as Seth finished. 

Police were everywhere, covering every surface of the pavement outside of the building. Where there wasn't police cars and officers there was the press.  Cameras were flashing every angle they could, hoping to get some sort of picture of Grey.

My wide eyes were glued to the scene. I was terrified, my pulse beating so rapidly that I was convinced you could see it outside of my body. 

I watched the doors swing open and two officers come out with Grey between them. His hands were behind his back in what I was assuming handcuffs, and his head was low, keeping whatever he was feeling away from the rest of the world. "Grey." my voice came out in a whisper. "Stop!" I yelled at Seth as he was about to turn into the parking lot where we usually parked. 

The car came to a halt as I unbuckled and opened the door. 

As soon as I jumped out of the car all of the cameras turned to face me. I wasn't thinking about the press, or the cops, or literally anything else as I ran across the sidewalk up towards the front of the building. "Grey!" I yelled, as I got closer. He looked up at me, his eyes wide as he heard my voice. 

I was so close; I was almost to him before I ran into something hard. There were two cops holding me back now as I tried to push through them. Tears were forming in my eyes as I realized I wasn't going to get to see him.

They were pushing him towards the car as he tried to turn towards me. "Grey!" I screamed again, reaching my hand out, trying to push past the officers. At this point I wasn't even sure if my feet were touching the ground. One of the officers had my arm while the other had my waist, pushing me back but making sure I didn't fall in the same stance. 

I could see the pain in Grey's face as he looked around, probably for Seth, wondering why he wasn't here with me. 

"Amara." I heard Seth's voice from behind. "Get your hands off her." His voice hardened as he was pushing the cops away from me. I could feel their hands let go as I was released. I tried to move further but Seths arms wrapped around my waist, lifting me into the air. 

"Amara, don't." He whispered. 

"no, no no." I fought back. It was to late though, even if I did get through, I have no idea what I would do. They opened the car door for Grey as he looked up at me. 

"Amara, go home." His voice was light, like he was trying not to freak me out. My breathing was heavy as I slowly stopped fighting. There was nothing I could do. He was going to go to jail for at least a day. 

How the hell did this happen. "He didn't do it." I whispered under my breathe. I watched as one cop pushed Grey's head down and he got into the back of the sheriff's car. 

"I know, but we can't do anything here. We need to go." What he was saying made sense, but it felt like I was frozen in place. Staring at the car as the lights went on and they pulled away. 

The second the car was away there were cameras and microphones in my face. Everyone was asking questions, but I couldn't hear any of them. I could feel Seth set me on my feet but move to stand in front of me, putting his hands up to get the press to back off. 

It was so loud, everyone was saying something, Seth shouting over all of them. I didn't know what else to do, so I turned around and went inside the building.

I don't know why I was expecting the lobby to be empty, but it wasn't. Nearly the entire company was there, watching everything that just happened.

People were whispering between themselves, staring at me as they did, gossiping. 

Everything was really silent in here, though you could still hear the noise outside of the building. 

"Everyone shut up!" I heard someone shout, the entire room grew super silent and then Laken stepped forward from the crowd. He nodded at me for a moment before turning back to the crowd of employees. "Everyone is dismissed for the day, go home. Be back tomorrow morning, Mr. Thomas will be back with us by then. This is all just a massive misunderstanding." 

Everyone stared at Laken for a moment, a few moving their gazes to stare at me for a moment more, and then one by one they began to move, spreading out and heading back to the elevator or the stairs. 

Seth appeared by my side, watching the scene unfold in front of him. "We need to be going Miss Winters. The press is going to have a hay day with this, we need to get you out of public eye for the next 24 hours." 

I nodded, knowing what was going to happen next. We had been through these enough times for me to know the routine. Laken turned and walked over to us, nodding at Seth.

"He is right. I am going to go grab my things and head home with the rest of my co- workers. Give me a few minutes and I will come over?" I was sure they didn't want me to be alone tonight. I wanted to go see if I could visit him, but I doubted it, the second he got through booking he would bail himself out. 

"I need the number for his lawyer."

______________________________________

I am not sure how I feel about this chapter