Chapter 42

I sat in the police station, in one of their interrogation rooms. I knew that Beverly was going to be in one next to me, repeating the same story that I had been repeating since  last night. My story just had more details.

Grey had brought his own car so that Laken and Beverly could take off back to the Flat when she was finished. Meanwhile, I sat on a cold seat that felt like high school again in a dark room with a cop in front of me and a notepad. They had brought in a sketch artist to draw the figure I had seen but it didn't matter, I knew who he was. It was Michael, I wasnt sure how, but it was.

"And, when you got downstairs, did you notice anything different? Any doors open that you hadn't opened?" The cop that was interrogating me was an African American woman. She had kind eyes and her hair pulled back tightly into a bun and I could tell she was trying to be sincere and that she knew all of this was hard on me. I was remembering more details than i was last night, trying to remember anything that would be helpful.

"No." My voice came out soft and high pitched. "But I wasn't trying to look for anything out of the ordinary. I didn't think anyone would have just walked into my Brothers house." She nodded, jotting something down on her notepad.

"What made you go upstairs? You were just as far from the front door, why didn't you run outside?" The question felt like a knife inside my stomach. It was the same question I had been asking myself all day. Why didn't I run outside?

"Beverly was upstairs. I wasn't sure that he wouldn't go after her so my first thought was to get to her and make sure she was safe." The words made sense. In general it made sense what I did if it was anyone else it would have been the smart move. But I could have left, he would have followed me, I was certain of it.

"Is there anything that would give you any sort of idea as to who he was? Any grievances with anyone in your life that would want to hurt you?" I had been over the entire story by now, she was just asking for specifics. The sketch artist had drawn the face of Michael, the face that I remember seeing in the dark and on the ground, bleeding out all of those Months ago when I had killed him.

"No, my circle of friends is small. I don't understand who would want to hurt me, who would want to hurt Grey. It just doesn't make sense."

"We have read your file. Rae, Michael, we know about them all." She said as a matter of fact. Like she knew I was lying, but it wasn't lying.

"Michael is dead. I killed him myself." I made sure my voice was sure as I said it. I didn't want to be assumed crazy and sent off some place. Grey and I had been over it. In my mind, it was Michael, but in real life, I was putting a face to my nightmares.

"And what about Rae?"

"What about her? She is after Grey not me, and we still dont know why. Either way, she was to small to fit the description and it was definitely a guy." I was sure of it.

She stared at me for a few more minutes but then nodded, pressing her lips together as she did. Something in her face made me feel small, like she thought I wasn't answering everything I knew.

"Okay Miss Winters. I thank you for your time today. Please stay in touch in case we have any more questions and we will continue our investigation." She concluded as she stood up, the godawful metal chair making a scraping noise as she pushed it back to stand up.

I nodded, standing up as well making sure to keep the chair quiet. She led me out of the room into the waiting area where Grey was seated. He stood up as soon as he saw me.

"Hey are you okay" He asked, seeing my face. I nodded, rubbing my arm with my other. I kept my head down as Grey thanked the officer and we headed outside into his car.