Chapter 45

We ended up at a bar way outside of Chicago. It took us over an hour to get there but we didnt want to go to a bar in the city since we didnt want the news of the engagement getting out just yet to the general public. There was to many people in Chicago so we drove down 55 until we hit a small town.

    We ended up in a town called Gardner, Illinois. There was like one Main Street in the entire town and we could only find one bar as well. It was small, the kind of bar you find on a corner in Chicago that was still always packed and had a line to get into it. However, there was one other person in the entire bar.

    Our group was big though, between the twins, Grey and I, Jarak and Laken and Beverly, we filled up half of the bar counter. The bartender walked over when she saw us come in. We had since changed clothes and I was in leggings and a crop top with a jacket on. The rest changed into more appropriate clothes to suit the weather

    "What are we drinking?" The bartender asked. She was tall, that was the first thing I noticed about her, with red hair that fell in natural curls and a tan face with bright green eyes.

    I sat down at one of the bar top chairs and adjusted until I felt comfortable. It was quiet in here, almost to quiet actually, I had never been to a bar that was brimming with people.

    "Does it usually get busier than this?" I asked looking around as she smiled and shook her head.

    "From the city?" I nodded, I wasnt sure what gave it away but she seemed to know instantly. "No, not usually. The entire town has like 1400 people in it so its never busy until Friday or Saturday. Tuesdays at 9, not usually."

    "That's better anyways. I am on jukebox." Dylan said getting up. "Rum and coke please." She strayed from her usually fruity cocktail she got at every club we went to in Chicago.

    "that sounds good, me too." I added. Delta got one as well and everyone ordered drinks as she pulled up cups to pour in front of us.

    "So what brought you out here?" She asked, looking over at Grey who was sitting with Jarak and Laken at the end of the bar. We had basically split into girls and guys.

    "That is my Fiancée, today actually." I was trying to read her, trying to read what she was reading at least, what she was gathering from our odd group of friends.

    "Well congrats. Didn't want to party in the city?"

    "He's kind of known, I suppose. We didnt want it getting out right away. To many people anyways. Though I wasnt expecting to find a place with this little people." I said with a smile.

    "Mari, what are we listening to?" Dylan shouted over to me from across the bar.

    "Build a playlist." Delta groaned, getting up and heading over to help her.

    "Well, I dont think I know who you are if that helps. Besides, people in this town dont really care about much other than what the town gossip is. They have enough to worry about with Miss Betty living up the road." She was young to, maybe mid twenties, about our age.

    "What's your name?" I asked as she pushed my drink to me and set out the others.

    "Victoria, yours?'

    "Mari."

    "Wonderful to meet you." She grinned. Grey walked over pulling out his wallet.

    "What do I owe you?"

    "First round is on the house, Congrats on the engagement." She said winking in my direction. I grinned, taking a sip of my drink which was stronger than I was anticipating. She headed back down to the other side of the bar to help the older guy that was sitting down there drinking alone. Grey slid into the chair next to me as a song began paying. I guess Dylan was building a slow playlist to get louder as we got drunker.