Chapter 41

I laid in bed staring at the ceiling. Grey was sitting next to me, neither of us saying a word. Beverly and Laken were two doors down and we had Seth stationed in the living room and all of the alarms set.

    I was safe here, I knew I was safe here and yet there was no chance of me falling back asleep anytime soon. I rolled over and looked at Grey. He did the same and we just stared at each other for a moment, neither of us saying a word. A few seconds passed and he slowly reached out, pushing hair out of my face.

    "You have no idea how scared I was Mari." He whispered.

    I could understand though, because I have never felt more terrified in my life than I did earlier.

    "It was him Grey."

    "Michael is dead Mari." He said softly. "The description was just a man, with the same height. You went through something traumatic and your brain gave a face to the profile that is all it was." What he said made sense, but all I could see was Michales face. It was like I couldn't unsee it. I knew I hadn't seen his face because of his hood but just, everything about him, the way he stood, the way he moved.

    I was sure it was him.

    But Michael was dead. I had seen the body, there was no way they could have faked that.

    "Michael is dead." I repeated.

    "We will find who did this, I have no doubt."

    "Do you think its related?" I asked, looking up and locking eyes with him. "the break in and TI and the break in at the house. Odds are they knew where I was?" I was trying at any angle here to try and piece things together so my life would go back to normal.

    "We can go over that tomorrow. I know its hard but you need some sleep so you can think straight tomorrow."

    "Beverly needs therapy."

    "You need therapy." Grey countered. My mind was going and it wasn't going to stop. There was no way I was getting sleep tonight.

    I made a move to get up but Grey wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me down into him, holding me in place against him. "Amara, theres nothing we can do tonight. You just need to sit and process this."

    I felt my breathing get quicker. Process it. Someone broke into my house to kill me and I had to process it.

    Beverly, Beverly was there and they may not have known that she was there. Beverly is going to be scared for the rest of her life because of me. "I should have ran outside." My lips began to tremble again. I was tired of crying at this point but I couldn't stop. I didnt think I would have anything left in my to cry out at this point. "At the bottom of the stairs I could have ran outside. He would have followed me and left Beverly alone. She would have been fine."

    I rest my head on Grey's chest, crying softly again. He nodded and held me tighter. "It would have been harder to survive outside. He could have chased you anywhere. You made the right choice. What if he didn't follow you and went after Beverly. You chose correctly."

    "He was after me." I felt the tears rolling down my cheeks and getting Grey's shirt wet.

    "He is gone now. They are going to find him okay, you're safe here. I'm not going to leave you alone again."

    I wasn't alone though. I was attacked in a house with another person in it. That was what scared me most.

    "He was going to kill me Grey." I couldn't get the pounding out of my head, the sound of the door bending as he hit it. Beverlys face as she sobbed quietly underneath me. It felt like every minute was an hour.

    Grey didn't say anything else, he just let me cry and held me. There was nothing he could say that was going to make it better and he knew that. But the thought of it still scared me.

~~

    The sun eventually came up and began another day. I hadn't slept a wink. I stayed with Grey in our room until 7 am when I finally felt like it was a feasible hour to get up. Grey got up with me and got into the shower. Once I was in leggings and a T-shirt we headed into the living room.

    Beverly and Laken were already awake and Seth was making Breakfast. "Figured I could take the pressure off you for a moment." He acknowledged us as we walked in.

    "Did you get any sleep?" I asked, looking at Beverly who shook her head.

    "No, you?"

    I shook my head in response and sat down at the island next to her. Grey nodded to Laken for him to follow him Down to his office for a moment while Seth poured me coffee.

    Beverly was staring into her cup which looked long cold by now. That was the first time I had heard her speak since yesterday. "I am so sorry." I mumbled, glancing over to her. She looked up, frowning at me for a moment, confused. "Beverly, I could have left, he would have followed me and you never would have been woken up. I am so sorry that I put you through that." I felt tears rush back to my eyes.

    She stared at me for a moment before setting her cup down and putting her hand on my arm. "We survived because of you." I stared at her in bewilderment. "I would never have responded the way you did. You hid me, and you called the police. I wouldn't have even remembered to lock the door behind me. Mari, you are the reason we are alive. You stayed calm, and I have no idea how you did it."

    I stayed calm in front of you babe. I broke once you were locked away. I wiped my face on my arm, nodding slowly. She didnt blame me, she should though.

    She stood up for a moment, her short frame barley meeting my height while sitting on the high top. Wrapping her arms around me she pulled me in tight as I hugged her back. "Mari, you are so incredible. I could not imagine doing all of that and staying intact."

    I wasnt staying intact. I felt like I was loosing my mind. Michaels face flashed through my memory again.

    It faded as soon as Grey reappeared in the doorway though.

    "I have called the police station so whenever you are ready we are going to go down there and talk to them Mari. Beverly you as well, they want you both together." Grey said as he set his cell phone down.

    "Beverly, we scheduled you a therapy session with Mari's therapist for later today as an emergency session. Mari you as well." Laken said, heading over to Beverly.

    "I dont know how much help I will be but sure, I can talk to the cops." Beverly sighed. "I would like to shower first however."

    Grey looked at me and I nodded. They had no clothes here.

    "You can borrow some of my clothes until we can go home and grab some for you. You guys are welcome to stay as long as you feel comfortable." Laken nodded at me, silently thanking me. I knew Beverly wasn't going to sleep at home for a while so here was probably better.

    We all stared at each other for a moment before nodding to each other and getting to work so we could get ready to leave.

__________