Chapter 47

Time seemed to pass a lot faster than we had planned. It was always that way though I suppose. We fell back into our normal routine of going to work and I had switched back to going to campus. Delta and Dylan were really happy to see me every day and I was glad to be back actually. It felt normal, like everything was finally behind us. Before we knew it, it was spring, with leaves back on the trees more rain than sunshine. 

Though lunch with Grey's mother was a bit of a trainwreck we hadn't heard anything from Aunt Sadie since then which we assumed was a good sign that she had just taken the hint and was trying to figure her own life out instead of butting into ours.

We did a pretty good job at keeping the entire secret engagement under wraps for a while. I was staying busy, staying inside and trying to avoid actually thinking to much. Grey had brought up buying a cat once or twice more to see how I was about the idea. I really didn't want an animal that I would have to stay back and watch while we were away for the weekends that we were but I think Grey was worried about me.

"What are you doing this weekend?" I asked Grey while sitting at the island one morning. 

"Flying out with you, right?" He asked. I had totally forgotten this weekend was an L.A weekend. I had been so caught up in the last few weeks assignments that it had slipped my mind.

"Shit." I muttered under my breath. I was eating a bowl of cereal and thinking about my exams that were coming up. It was almost end of term, I was going to have finals in the next week or so that I needed to begin studying for. I suppose I could do that in L.A.

"Everything okay?" He asked, looking up from the stack of papers he was going through at the moment. I nodded, pressing my lips together. I could just study in L.A

"Yeah, finals are coming up soon though, so I am going to bring my things so I can work on my stuff in the hotel though if that is okay." 

"Yeah of course. I will help you when I get off work if you want. Oliva wants to go out to eat at least once again while we are there though, she wants a do over. Just her." I smiled at that. Our last run in with her girlfriend wasn't exactly pleasant. I did like Oliva though. 

"Sounds fun." I grinned and went back to eating my cereal. 

It had gotten a lot warmer over the last few weeks, winter never seeming to really end this year for some reason. But today it was nice out, basically 75 degrees, so I had dressed in shorts and a tank for classes today.

"Are you going to campus today?" I nodded, looking back over at my bag that was sitting by the front door. I was still getting used to going back to campus and being around everyone, but it was also exciting.

"Yeah, we only have like one week left of regular classes before finals kick in, so I need to be there really. I only have one more year before I graduate." The thought of graduating seemed a little less terrifying than it did before. Unlike last year, my grades were riding on me passing my finals. The main difference between sophomore and junior year was that during my sophomore year I wasn't dating Grey Thomas and my life wasn't an ever changing soap opera. 

"How do you think Finals will go?" Grey asked as I got up to wash out my bowl. 

"I need at least a B in most of the to maintain my average currently." I said shaking my head. "I have got to stay on top of my grades senior year otherwise my GPA will fall. It's already fallen a bunch since last years finals." I was a little upset but I understood. With everything else happening, the baby, Michael, the break in, the engagement. There was so much going on that my schoolwork didn't seem as important as it did before. 

"Next year will be easier, now that everything is over there will be a lot less drama." Grey said as if he was positive, it was all behind us. I wanted to believe that but with the way things were working out recently. I wasn't sure, it seemed almost to quiet.

"Why do you say that?" I asked, looking back over at him from the sink. He gave me a lazy smile and just shrugged, meaning he had something in store that he didn't wanna tell me.

I just shook my head and smiled, heading back over to the island. he pushed himself away a little bit and made room for me to come over to him. "What are you planning?" I asked as I moved between his knees. 

He grinned and wrapped his arms around my waist. "Nothing to big."

I narrowed my eyes at him but smiled, leaning in and pressing my lips against his, lightly. He took the invite to pull me in closer, moving his hand to press behind my neck. I grinned, moving my lips against his for a quick moment before pulling away.

"I love you, but I have to go to class." He pouted as I pulled away but nodded, standing up. He had to get going to work anyways.

It was funny to see the difference in our appearance. I was dressed in summer clothes and he was still in a suit.

"Lets go out tonight, get everyone together and just go out." I had missed seeing our friends and I felt like we hadn't been out as a group in awhile.

"Okay, got any plans in mind?" He asked. I thought about it for a moment, frowning as I went to grab my bag after putting my bowl in the sink. 

"Kind of like a bondfire vibe?" I shrugged, the idea of hanging out in the warm weather was mostly what I was going for.

"Yeah, that sounds great. I will tell Jarak and Delta and they will get Dylan." Grey said and I nodded. "Ready to go?" 

"yep!" I smiled, slinging my backpack over my shoulder and heading towards the front door with Grey. 

"I will see you tonight." 

~~

I got to campus and made it through my first few classes pretty alright. I kept getting stares from my classmates but at this point I was used to all of the attention. Delta and Dylan had found out about our plans tonight and that was all they talked about through lunch. 

I was headed to my last class of the day when my phone began buzzing. I looked down confused when the name flashed across my screen. "Hello?" I answered, holding it up to my ear.

"Hey, Mari, how you been?" Dakota's voice came through the other end, surprisingly chipper. Why was she calling me? We hadn't spoken in a moment, why was she calling now?

"Good, just busy, you know. Finals and all. How are you?"

"I'm great, I just finished classes for the day. I just wanted to reach out and see how you were doing. It feels like we haven't spoken in ages." She was right, it felt that way because it was that way. Since the ice rink I had just kind of pulled away from Dakota.

It wasn't anything specific, but there was something about her that just seemed like she was there for more. She was always looking for something, we never really had a real conversation, it always felt like I was being interviewed.

"Oh, uh...yea. Well, I am actually headed to my last class of the day but-" I was trying to think of a good way to tell her I didn't really want to be friends. 

"Oh well I will be fast then! Let's get together tonight, it's been so long I have so much to catch you up on." I tried to protest.

"Delta and Dylan are coming over tonight-" I was about to tell her we wanted it just us, but she cut me off again.

"Ooo, girls' night. Perfect, I will be there at 7 with wine!" The phone cut before I could say anything else, and I groaned.  She just invited herself to my night plans.

Bitch.

I rolled my eyes, groaning again and trying to shrug off the suddenly annoyed feeling I had and headed into the last class.

________________________