Chapter 51

I had no words. There was nothing I could say to properly describe what I was feeling and going through in this moment. And yet, all I could think about was Grey. How this was affecting him and the battle I was sure he was fighting in his head.

This was the girl he was pretty sure he was going to marry not so long before me. He was a different person back then, but he was still in love with this woman at some point. 

It was like I couldn't catch my breathe. I didn't want to make this moment about me but I wasn't sure what I was supposed to say or do at this point. 

We sat there in a super uncomfortable silence for maybe 30 seconds but felt like ten minutes with the amount of tension that was clinging to the air. 

"Do you want to come inside?" I didn't recognize the voice that left my mouth. I was just to scared to do anything else so I was going to be polite.

Dakota broke her gaze with Grey and looked over at me with the same soft smile. "I would love to, thank you." She said quietly.

Grey stepped aside, still not sure what to do or say. He looked over at me for a moment and we locked eyes. I could see the battle behind his eyes, comfort me to talk to her. I just pulled my bottom lip into my mouth and looked away.

I didn't want him to think about me at the moment. I wanted to find out why his Ex-girlfriend just showed up at his door. 

Dakota walked over to the island, taking off her purse that was wrapped around her torso and setting it down on one of the chairs. "I am so sorry to just stop by, but I was in town, and I had lost your number a long time ago." She spilled out quickly, probably scared shitless right now. 

You can tell how nervous she was as she spoke. We stood in the foyer for a moment before I made the first move into the kitchen with her.

"Would you like a drink?" I asked and she shook her head.

I was getting a drink. I pulled a glass cup out of the cabinets and a bottle of Titos from the night before and opened it, looking up at Grey as he stared at Dakota still in shock.

"I am going to go sit in the bedroom until the chicken is done. I will let you two talk." I announced after finishing making my drink and picking it up. Neither of them said anything as I walked into the bedroom and closed the door behind me, leaning up against it.

I would still be able to hear them talk, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to, to be honest. I slid down the door and leaned my head against it, trying to hold back the tears that were fighting to form behind my eyes.

 We were just talking about how no one else mattered when his biggest ex literally knocked on the door. I trusted Grey, but was she going to be around for good, and if she was did she plan on reconnecting with Grey.

"It's good to see you Grey." I heard her speak first.

It took Grey a moment before he answered, his voice betraying how he was actually feeling. He was trying to sound put together, but he just sounded lost.

"You too, Kota." I hated that he used a nickname for her. I had no reason to hate her. I didn't hate her; I just hated this current situation.

"How have you been?" The small talk was killing me.

"Pretty good." Grey replied quicker this time. There was an awkward pause before either of them said anything and when they did, they both tried talking at once, both cutting each other off before Grey started up. "Why are you here Dakota?"

I didn't have to see her face to know that she was taken back. Grey wasn't a very subtle person, but I was sure that he was usually not so abrupt with her.