Say You Wont Let Go (Hijikata Toshiro)

"Die, Hijikata!"

With a slight move of his head to the left, he easily dodged the bullet aiming for him. It was another normal day at the Shinsegumi.

"Tch, missed again." Okita appears with a sour look on his face, bazooka perched on his shoulder.

"Oh? Looks like you're a bit distracted today~" Okita smirks devilishly, but Hijikata only scowls and looks away. Fearing that the sadist had already spotted what he was staring at, Hijikata hurriedly pretended to grab a cigarette.

Bringing his cigarette to his lips, Hijikata sighs as he puffs out a breath of smoke— his eyes gazing into the distance.

Only one thing was occupying his mind— the only one that could distract the demon vice commander with intense focus.

(Y/N).

"Ah, this is bad..." With a gruff voice he brings one hand to gently slide down his face— covering his eyes.

Hijikata had caught feelings for her

—he did. He truly did.

Sougo, who had been studying Hijikata's facial expression smirked darkly. "Oho? So it's nee-san?"

This made Hijikata flinch as he faces Sougo with eyes widened in denial, "What the hell are you goin' on about!?" Sougo shrugged and whistled teasingly.

"Nothing, nothing...absolutely nothing~"

Okita Sougo knew something.

Hijikata Toshiro did not know anything— at all.

But Bisha-chan knew everything.

Out of all the people who just had to find out about the secret feelings Hijikata held for their fellow Shinsengumi Member, (Y/N) it just had to be Sougo.

I met you in the dark, you lit me up
You made me feel as though I was enough
We danced the night away, we drank too much
I held your hair back when
You were throwing up

(5 years ago)

It was exactly a week after Mitsuba's death. Hijikata was fine on the outside— he had gotten so used to pretending that his emotions were something he could truly control.

"Ah....seriously..!"

With a deep grunt, he slams the now-empty cup of beer down on the table and messily wipes his mouth with his sleeve. Just then, he hears a similar frustrated shout from the woman beside him.

"You asshole! I wish you become a frog and come down here!!!"

What exactly was she cursing at? Who was she cursing at?

From beside him, he could hear a woman shouting profanities and curses at the air— countless empty glasses of beer around her.

"...What are you looking at? Do you want to become a frog too mister?" The (H/C) haired woman frowned, meeting Hijikata's gaze.

"Let me tell you this, I'm really good at cursing you know?"

"....No, I just..." Hijikata suddenly felt shy, covering up his mouth with one hand he waved his other.

"You what? You like sticking your nose in other people's business?"

"No.....I just thought I found a fellow comrade." Hijikata says softly and (Y/N)'s expression changes at his words.

Her eyebrows soften and she places a hand carelessly on Hijikata's shoulder. They were both hurting, they knew it.

"Are you hurt too?...."