Paperboats (Sakata Gintoki)

"What kind of job request is this?" Gintoki scowls as he reads the piece of paper in his hands again.

"He'll give me money just to find a single book?" Gintoki grinned mischieviously, "Well. Who cares as long as I get paid for it~" Gintoki snickers, stopping in front of a bookstore.

"Let's try this one first~"

Gintoki looked up at the familiar sign, it was a bookstore he always came to so he was quite familiar with the owner.

As soon as Gintoki stepped into the bookstore, a familiar scent caught his attention.

"Whenever I come here, it always feels so nostalgic and familiar...."

The shop was filled with a scent that— seemed so nostalgic for him for some sort of reason that he couldn't figure out.

'It smells like......what was it again....' Gintoki paused and pressed a finger to his temple, feeling that he would remember something.

A number of images flashed by his mind, but none of them lived up to the nostalgic feeling he was currently experiencing.

"Hmph," Gintoki huffed and shook his head, "It's not like I had a lot of good memories when I was young..."

Paper Boats
Drifting in the lake
Our names, are sailing away

Gintoki walked through the aisles, searching for that specific book for his client. But he had no luck— and Gintoki, especially had no patience.

As he plowed through the books, the nostalgic scent still lingered in his mind.

—and one small, old memory from long ago flashed through his mind.

Two paperboats, flowing down a river.

A little girl smiling beside him.

"....What the hell," Gintoki pressed his hand to his head and frowned.

"I don't have time for this," He sighs, giving up on searching for the book on his own and heading straight to the counter where a woman was sitting quietly.

Sleepyhead
In the morning light
Buried in the books
All night
But your eyes still found mine

"Is she......" Gintoki furrowed his eyebrows, leaning close to the woman he placed a hand under his chin. "—Sleeping on the job?"

"What a lazy woman," Gintoki shakes his head, then he knocks on the counter making the woman's eyes slowly open.

"Oi, oi. (Y/N)? You've got a hard-working customer here waiting for you." Gintoki spoke loudly, watching as she rubbed her eyes.

"Oh....I'm sorry..." She yawns, "I probably shouldn't read so late at night anymore..."

But when she saw it was Gintoki she blushed and was woken right up.

"A-Ahem!!" She cleared her throat when she saw Gintoki's piercing stare, "W-What do you need, Gin-san?" She smiled nervously.

"A book."

"........You are aware that this is a bookstore right?"

"Yes."

"....and you need a book?" (Y/N) repeated with a dubious look on her face while Gintoki just nodded.

"Yeah."

"—Then....go get the book you want or something???"

Gintoki sighs and plops the paper down on the counter. "This one," He says pointing to it. "I can't find it, so go find it for me."