Maybe I Do (Okita Sougo)

"....What is it?" 

Sougo hisses lowly, as he brings up his hand to his chin. His red eyes narrowing on (Y/N)'s figure with his eyebrows creasing deeper.

"...What do I like about her?" He groans as he closes his eyes and sighed in exhaustion. 

Sougo wouldn't be thinking about something as troublesome as this if it wasn't for that stupid Hijikata's words that unconsciously revealed something Sougo had no idea he had been feeling all along.

His love for (Y/N).

'..Maybe it's not love after all?' Sougo questioned himself, an irritated look now appearing on his face.

"...This is irritating. Why would I fall for such an emotionless woman anyways?" He scoffs as he stands up, finally deciding to stop observing (Y/N) for now. But he hadn't even reached that far yet when he ran into Yamazaki.

"Oh! Captain Okita, what are you doing all the way over here?" Yamazaki happily waves his hand, an anpan in his mouth when he suddenly glanced behind Sougo and spotted (Y/N) training in the courtyard all by herself.

"Oh? Were you stalking (Y/N)-chan again?" Yamazaki teasingly looked back at Sougo, 

"That's not good, you're turning into the Chief—" 

Yamazaki didn't get to finish his sentence when Sougo shoved the anpan hanging from Yamazaki's mouth straight into his throat causing him to choke.

"Hm? What were you saying? I didn't hear you," Sougo pretended as if he wasn't trying to murder his own subordinate and quietly walked away, ignoring the choking Yamazaki.

Truthfully, everyone in the shinsengumi had caught on to how Sougo was attracted to (Y/N), the only female member of the shinsengumi. She was someone who— when they were still in Bushu— Kondo had found and taken in, instantly making her a part of their family.

(Y/N)'s past was a mystery, she didn't have a last name and the only name she responded to was '(Y/N)'. As if that wasn't suspicious enough, when Kondo found her she was drenched in blood, and possessed only a sword among her items. She knew how to wield a word as if it was part of her body and she was gifted in hand to hand combat as if she was trained specifically for that purpose.

But ever since she arrived at their dojo, being one year younger than the youngest member, Sougo he took it upon himself to be her so-called 'senpai' and thus bully her just as he did with Hijikata. But (Y/N) never complained all those times, she just quietly nodded and occasionally spoke if she so needed to.

In Sougo's eyes she had always been an emotionless doll, sure she was pretty but she was hollow inside. 

The first time he met her, he remembered getting goosebumps from how empty and dead her eyes looked despite them being a pretty color of (E/C). 

Now, why was Sougo so troubled and frustrated over this? It was because of Hijikata suddenly mentioning (Y/N) and Sougo's feelings for her.

"...I'm surprised you and (Y/N) are still not dating." 

Sougo's eyes widened when he heard Hijikata's words. He was just quietly planning Hijikata's assassination when his target suddenly spoke up as if trying to shake his resolve.

"You've always been so protective and possessive of her. Did you even confess yet? Pfft," Hijikata stifled a laughter as he lit up his cigarette. Sougo stood up to leave and glared at Hijikata.

"Shut up, you mayonnaise addict who'll die alone."

"That's mean!"