Rewrite the Stars 2 (Sakata Gintoki)

"........."

Gintoki's eyes glossed over the picture in his hands, his feet suddenly staying glued to where he stood.

"..Seriously?" Gintoki slowly raised a hand and carefully ran it through his hair as he shut his eyes and exhaled deeply.

"Haaah...." With one last sigh, he tucks the nostalgic photo of her into his kimono.

"Right...before that, I need to buy JUMP." Gintoki says as he turns to the side and finds himself coincidentally standing right in front of a bookshop.

Coincidence? Nothing is ever a coincidence if it's Bisha-chan who writes it.

Gintoki had not particularly said yes to the request made by the man who identified himself as (Y/N)'s father. He just went silent after that and straight out walked out.

Shinpachi got flustered at Gintoki's unusual actions and politely told the client that he would get back to them when Gintoki made up his mind.

But Gintoki— was out here trying to distract himself with JUMP. Although deep down he knew that (Y/N) was far more important than any JUMP issue in Gintoki's heart.

"Excuse me, nee-san do you have the latest issue of JUMP here—" Gintoki paused as soon as his eyes met with those familiar (E/C) ones.

Fate truly was cruel— or in the context of this book, Bisha-chan was cruel.

"........"

"........"

Silence engulfed the quiet bookshop, as the two stared right into each other's eyes.

(Y/N) who had been quietly watching over the store was slowly processing the moment.

"Gin...toki?"

"......You've gotta be kidding me."

"Gin, is that really you—" (Y/N)'s face has changed to that with tears falling down her cheeks in a split second.

Gintoki was speechless.

That look of absolute relief and love expressed clearly in those captivating (E/C) eyes of hers told him everything he needed to know. He didn't even need to ask why she looked at him like that—

—Like a great burden had been taken off her shoulders.

Gintoki's chest tightened, as a flurry of emotions rushed through his chest all at once.

Was he glad?

Was he angry?

He didn't know.

"......" Gintoki gulped, his lips parting but no words came out. He suddenly turned around and bolted right out the door without another word.

"Gintoki!!" (Y/N) tried running after him, but as expected Gintoki was faster. When she got out, he had already vanished from thin air.

"....I'm sorry," (Y/N) whispers faintly, pulling her hands to her chest. But even so, a smile appeared on her lips as she presses her hand to her lips and closes her eyes.

"But I'm glad...." She sighs as she tilts her head down, suppressing her tears. "You're alive....after all these years."

(Y/N)— right after finding out what they did to tear them apart years ago, decided to leave her family.

She ran away from home— she tried to search for Gintoki. But in the end, she found nothing. Not even a single clue of what happened to him, or where he was.