Another Slice of Heaven

Começar do início

"A-A bag, you say. N-No, I haven't seen such an item."

Ishtar's brows began twitching, her face quickly beading with sweat as she looked at her feet, twiddling her fingers as if it was the most exciting thing to do. Turning to look at Mash, we nodded in agreement, and I decided to turn up the heat, engaging in part two of my plan.

"Are you positively sure? We had the bag carefully in our sights until yesterday afternoon, after our battle at your temple."

"I-I'm telling you-

"I see. If you claim you didn't steal them, I have no choice but to believe you. I mean, the Uruk citizens put so much trust and faith in you. Of course, you'd never betray those expectations, unintentional or not; only a dirty goddess would do that, right, Mash?"

"Affirmative, senpai, only a deplorable god would do such a thing."

"D-Deplorable?!"

"Yeah. There's no other word to describe such a person. But there's no need for you to worry, oh virtuous goddess."

Selling the act, I give my brightest smile, watching Ishtar fall on all fours, her entire body trembling while Manna floats by her side. Nudging Bahamut, I lock eye contact with him commencing the finale.

"Well, we should get going. If you happen to find anything, Ishtar, let us know. In the meantime, we'll see you later!"

Walking away for extra dramatic effect, Ishtar began to whimper silently, throwing her hand out before us as we began to pass her by.

"W-Wait," Ishtar muttered, nearly on the verge of tears.

"What is it, Ishtar? Do you know something?"

"N-No, well... the thing is. I-I may have, have...used the pouch of gems."

Inaudible bits and pieces came through; I bent down, leaning closer to Ishtar, teasingly putting a hand to my ear, egging her on.

"What was that?"

"I-I said. I-I... I USED THE GEMS, ALL OF THEM!"

Finally falling apart, Ishtar handed me the pouch I purposely left her, the contents empty, gone without a trace. Faking my surprise, I rubbed the goddess's back sitting next to her.

"I can't believe you used the gems. What would everyone think if they heard?"

"How was I supposed to know what they were for? I thought they were an apology for you trespassing yesterday!"

"I'm afraid not. Those treasures were to welcome in our new ally, but you used part of the offerings. I suppose we could ask for more to replace them... unless... you want to fight for the people of Uruk Ishtar?"

"Me?"

"Yeah, think about it. We said powerful, and you do fit the bill. And while you did take the gems, they weren't being given to anyone specifically, so I'm sure if you agree to fight for Uruk, the citizens wouldn't mind letting you have them. Plus, we won't have to say you stole them, but rather the offering was given to you."

"That could work, b-but-

"Please, Ishtar. I know you'll do your best to take down the Alliance! If you agree, you'll get all the treasures in the cart Merlin is holding in addition to Gilgamesh offering up twenty percent of his treasury!"

"Tw-Twenty! Are you sure, t-that can't be right?!"

"Then twenty-five!"

"Five percent more! No, no, no, calm down, deep breaths. I'm going to have a meltdown!"