Or maybe not having her?

Reyansh Khanna

After bickering for a lot of time we settled on the sand and she kept staring at the waves while I kept staring at her.

There is some magic in her eyes,
In her lively smile,
Something that doesn't allow me to take my eyes off her.

I was snapped out of my world when her phone started ringing,

"Shreyaaa...!" She squealed answering the call with a wide grin.

"Don't tell me you have called me for that?" She asked rolling her eyes.

"My mom could go to hell for all I care! I am not giving in this time." She said huffing and hung up very aggressively.

"Who talks like that about their mom?" I asked with an incredulous expression.

"Me." She said pointing at her and I could see how irritated was she.

"Did you come here running away from your parents because you felt suffocated with them? Or because they were trying to force for pursuing some specific career or something?" I asked because I was really confused as to why would she want freedom so badly that she came here to her grandparents leaving everything behind.

She just chuckled and said,
"I wish my life was that simple. But I am not here to runaway from my parents. I am here so that I could feel like myself. I could be whatever I want and not what someone else wants me to be." She said staring at the moon.

"But is running away an option? You've left that life back and came here but someday you have to go back to your parents, to your life in mumbai." I tried to explain her.

"Are you not ever tired of your life? Of everyone's expectations from you? Of your responsibilities?" She asked turning towards me and I chuckled.

"I do not have the option to be tired. My whole family of 7 people rely on me, look up to me. I can't fail them." I said and looked into her eyes and I had no way out of it.

"What about you? What about not failing yourself?" She asked in a mere whisper and that question took me off guard.

I have never gave it a thought.

"When everyone of them is happy, I know I haven't failed myself." I said shrugging.

"You know? There was a point where even I thought like you do. Making my parents proud and doing whatever they want was my only goal." She said with a dry chuckle and I could see tears surfacing in her eyes.

I just held her palm and gave a light squeeze to it.

"Everything gets better with time. You're too young to cry over anything." I said and she chuckled with tears in her eyes.

"Nothing gets better. We just get used to it with time. And, I don't want to get used to anything that I don't want in my life now." She said.

Such a stubborn woman!
But, I adore her attitude.

"You stay with your parents?" I asked and she nodded in a no.

"So, you stay alone?" I asked and she again nodded in a no.

"Friend?" I asked and she just rolled her eyes.

Don't tell me she has a boyfriend who she lives with!

"Boyfriend?" I asked hesitantly and she looked at me.

Please say no..!

"Why are you so interested?" She asked and I just sat there not knowing what to answer.