Yearning battles - 35

Evelyn's POV•

Three years huh
Not a joke.

Keva turns 11 today,starting middle school tomorrow she noticed the empty side of my bed a long time ago,the muffled cries late at night waking her up, sometimes sleeping with me to keep me company,asking random questions before getting on asking about Kendra,and how much she missed her.

Im glad she didn't forget her and i hope wherever she is she that she remembers us.

I couldn't tell her about what the news rambled on,i believed it wasn't true but overtime reality struck me down,i stopped crying,and numbed down my feelings locking them in a box weighting it down with a massive brick of feelings til it reached the bottom.

Everything went to normal despite zoning out and the unexpected damped cheeks every now and then,i wouldn't feel the tears until they leave dried trails

The one that painted joy and flowered my life was nowhere to be found,yet a part of me is still hoping she'd show up in my doorstep,hugging me,kissing me,telling me everything's okay,though it seems the day refuses to come.

I know she's out there,i can feel it,i just need a sign,anything.

Adam visited,A-lot,he sometimes tried to talk about it but id always shut everything down,even Emani would stop by with him and they'd sleep over after making a complete fools out of themselves while their drunk,it took away some of the weight off of my chest,they make us smile and Keva is loving their presence.

I walked out of the building striding to my car,the eyes that been watching me lately still up and about it,since whoever it is didn't take action it doesn't concern me,yet.

Taking off to pick Keva up early she basically begged me nonstop to get her out before everyone,i only accepted because it was her birthday,no harm in having a little bit of fun.

-

"Hello Kassandra"i said to the lady at the front desk she smiled at me

"Hi Ms Olsen,I'll get her for you"she said and i nodded,minutes later she walked up with Keva next to her,tugging on her book bag peppy to see me"have a great day Ms Olsen"

"Thanks,You two Kassandra"i locked my fingers into Kevas and we walked out silently,until we got in the car she squealed"don't tempt me or i'll send you back"i threatened playfully watching her expression flip"nah im messing with ya"i laughed

"Don't be mean it's my birthday"i see her with the corner of my eyes folding her arms in front of her with an adorable pout

I cant say no to my princess "Alright then birthday girl,what should we do first"I ask as i stop at a red light

"I want chocolate chips ice cream,then we'll go to the arcade,the art museum after,and oh i want to watch a movie with you"she literally had her day planned in advance. I never did that as a kid.

Kids are so impatient these days,and i look like a clown getting her ice cream in this cold weather,going to the arcade and walking out with another one. Don't talk about how easy motherhood is,I'm punching you in the face.

We get to the art museum as we look at paintings and sculptures,my mind drifts to Kendra,the way she'd be twice as excited as Keva right now,the warmth of her hand seeping into mine.how wed be basically running around the place childlike weirdos with a kid in the mix,her endless sessions of stares.

God i miss you so much.

"Don't cry mommy we'll do it together next time"Keva say's squeezing my hand,and i can't hold back the smile or the tears threatening to make me look like a mess.

I squat down hugging her"i know baby,i know"she pulls back scattering kisses all over my face"alright kid time to go"i said between chuckles

-

She insisted on having a sugar rush today so i settled things up for both of us in the living room,while she had her shower.

A knock on my door got me to pause my work,and i went to get it.

"Um...excuse me Ms Olsen for coming this late,i couldn't cone earlier"i arched a brow at him to go on"im sure you noticed the guys out front and back at your work"

"Yes,and who are you"i questioned

"Im Sargent Edwards,head of criminal investigation department"he introduced himself with a bit of cockiness in his tone

"What are you here for,i believe i've told you everything three years ago,so why are you people still following me like stray dogs"i kept my tone normal with a stoic face

He shifts his weight onto his left leg"just security measures to inure you'r safety and your daughters,Ms Olsen"he gestured behind me,i look back seeing Keva watching from the stairs

"Go ahead and start the movie sweetie i'll just be a minute"she nods to me before walking out of his site

"Look Mr Edwards those security measures are not needed"i clasped my hands"i didn't ask for them nor will i,so you can take your guys and leave,don't tempt me to file complaint about your actions im sure it wouldn't look pretty for the department"i managed to be venoms in the matter of seconds he looked shocked. Believe me i shocked myself to.

He clears his throat"their for your family's safety Miss"

"Im thankful but three years are more than enough so back off,now excuse me i have better things to do,i don't want to see anyone's halo around my family again"i spoke my mind he nodded and apologized before leaving

I got back in the living room sighing "Did they find mama?"Keva asks concern evident in her eyes

I shook my head sitting beside her"no baby but she'll be here before you know it,now we focus on having a good time okay!"She smiles taking the popcorn bowl into her lap and putting the chocolate one in mine as she snuggles up into me.

Well she dropped cold thirty minutes into the movie,i didn't notice until she snuggled more into my chest,i paused the movie placing the mess on the table,and lifting my girl up she wraps her legs onto my waist dangling her arms on my shoulders.

I managed to brush her teeth while she's all sleepy she got me repeating myself like a control freak,and i tucked her in bed before kissing her good night

After cleaning our mess i slumped on my bed thankful it's a Saturday evening,i felt too exhausted and my cold bed was far away from warm,it's what keeps me shifting around at night,the possibility of sleeping soundly cease to ever exist again

Will she show up though!?

A question i might never get an answer for.