It's Been A While

JOSEPHINE

As always, when I've not been with Hero, time seems to have dragged on. Like the minutes have turned into hours and the hours into days. It's dragged, all bloody week, but I've made it to Friday and I'm so ready to see both Hero and Mila again. I've looked forward to it all week.

While I was marking work on Monday evening, I received a FaceTime call from Hero. Only the face that greeted me wasn't Hero, it was Mila. Although from Hero chasing her, I got the impression that she'd stolen his phone like she did a while ago and took it upon herself to ask me to stay over again on Friday and Saturday. Hero scooped her into his arms, shaking his head at her in disbelief. She really is a wild child, but he's incredible with her. She's so lucky to call him her father. And when she asked me again, with Hero holding her, I simply couldn't say no to her little pleading face. Also, there was no way I was passing up on a weekend with them either.

Alighting off the tube at Chigwell, I reach into my back pocket, managing to juggle the box of geography books that need to be marked this weekend onto my hip before lifting my phone out. Navigating to mine and Hero's messaging thread, I begin to type as best I can to him while tapping out of the station.

Just arrived at Chigwell station, won't be long xx

I hit the send button and push my phone back into my back pocket and press onwards, out of the tube station. The walk from here to Hero's doesn't take very long and the tree-lined roads from here to the private road he lives on make for a pretty walk. Even if the trees are almost bare and just branches hang above me.

I round the corner onto Hero's road and instantly feel some relief when I see his home standing there. The gate is open just enough for me to squeeze through, even if I do have to manoeuvre the box of books on my hip through separately. Continuing past his car, I head straight towards the door and hit the doorbell, shuffling my bag and box into place.

I don't wait very long, but as soon as the door opens, I open my free arm ready to catch Mila, knowing it would be her opening the door.

"Princess Jo!" She jumps to my free side, scrambling to get into my hip as she did last time she launched herself at me through the front door.

"Hey, sweet pea. How are you?" I push through the door, instantly smelling our dinner lingering in the air. Sweet chilli salmon.

"Good. You're here," I nod yes, feeling her place a kiss on my cheek before I close the door over with my back foot and begin to wander through the archway into the kitchen, knowing Hero will be in here. As I do, the smell of fresh food fills the air and my nose. As I carry her into the kitchen, I realise just as I did when she opened the door that her hair is looking more unruly than normal. I do wonder what kids get up to in the younger classes at school, some go home looking like they've electrocuted themselves. Mila currently being one of them. Her hair strangely reminds me of mine when I was a kid, although I had sand and the seawater to thank for mine always being a state.

"Something smells good," Hero turns around, smiling before he places the utensil he's using down and smiles, wandering over to me.

"Sorry, I should have come with her. Can you keep your eye on the salmon? I've just put them in the oven but don't want them burning. I'll take your stuff upstairs," smiling up at him, I tell him I'll keep hold of the box of books, primarily so I know where it is. He helps me slide off the bag, standing rather closely behind me before reaching around me, his warm hands on my hips and placing a kiss on my cheek. He reaches around the other side to Mila, doing the same before taking himself out of the kitchen. She giggles as he leaves, leaning her head onto my shoulder.