Back To Normal

JOSEPHINE

For the first time in six weeks, my alarm blares through my bedroom. Waking me up, telling me it's the start of a new academic year and time to go back to the job I love. It's our first day back and I'm so excited. I get a new class to teach, new faces and challenges to enjoy and tackle. My arms stretch above my head as a yawn falls from me. My whole body stretches out, pushing away the sleep I was just in before they drop and fall down. Rolling over, I detach my phone from the charger and see, as I have done for a while now, the three initials attached to a message notification. Smiling, I scroll my thumb across my screen, unlocking my phone and opening the message.

Good morning, happy first day back Miss Langford. Also, Mila says good morning too x

Waking up to a message from Hero Fiennes Tiffin really is a nice way to wake up. One of the best ways to wake up, in fact. But what beat that was the call we shared yesterday morning before he went into training. I had to tell a little white lie because he did in fact wake me up. Even though I told him he didn't. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he did, I was just happy he called me at such an important time. It was his last training session before tonight's big match against Manchester United. So I have two things to look forward to today. Returning to work and then Monday night football with a certain number 8.

Sitting up slowly, I begin to type back, noticing this is the first time he's mentioned his daughter directly over our texts. His message only arrived ten minutes ago so maybe he's still got his phone on him and he's still with her.

Good morning, thank you. And please say good morning to Mila too for me. I'm looking forward to going back to work, the first day is always exciting x

I hit the send button and swing my legs out of bed, pulling the duvet off me as I go. Allowing myself one last stretch before standing, I pace over to the door and take the robe hanging on the back and slip myself into it. Just as I do, another message arrives.

You should see Mila's face now I've told her you've said good morning to her. She's a bit clingy this morning given I'm playing away. I'll be setting off shortly so I'll text you when I can x

I can't help but smile, knowing I've made his little girl smile warms me. It's no surprise she's clingy, her dad's going to play - or work - away from London so she'll be without him for the night. I wonder how he juggles that? He deserves a bloody Olympic medal if you ask me.

Okay, no worries. Same for me, I'll message you when I can x

I drop the phone into the robe's pocket and head into the kitchen, ready to go through the motions of my morning routine now it's back to normal.

The first thing I head for is the kettle, needing my morning coffee hit. Lifting the lid, I place it under the stream of water and fill it before closing the lid and placing it back down. I flick the switch down and set it to boil before pulling the toaster out and dropping in my usual two slices of bread. I'm so excited to head back to school. Anyone would think I'm a student or something, the buzz that's coursing through me. I can't wait to see and meet my new class properly. I already have today's objective ready and set in my head and will be writing it on the board as soon as I arrive in my classroom.

After my toast has popped up from the toaster and I've buttered it and made my strong coffee to add to my buzz, I lean against the breakfast bar and tuck in. My breakfast is always simple but this is more than enough to put me on until lunch. I'm lucky that the school provides my lunches for me. It massively saves on food shopping and prep time. Usually, it's different from what the students eat too, so that's always a bonus.